Leach Marathon With Photos

deliquium

Retro Guru
Just acquired an original paint - must be because of the amazing faded highly detailed box lining - 531 DB Leach Marathon frame and forks.

Been onto classiclightweights.co.uk and got a lot of interesting info there.

Anyone know how to date the frames from the serial numbers stamped on both rear dropouts? Or have any other info?

Only got it late this afternoon, so still excited. It was sent Yodel via Parcel2Go on the 15th July on a 48 hour service!

More photos HERE

Attachments

• 2711 Front SideC.jpg
    2711 Front SideC.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 972
  • 2708 HeadtubeC.jpg
    2708 HeadtubeC.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 973
  • 2726 SideC.jpg
    2726 SideC.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 972
Re:

That sounds interesting, you’ll have to post some pics. I don’t know anything about them myself, but the Veteran Cycle Club has a Marque Enthusiast for Leach Marathon and he should be able to provide advice although you will need to join the V-CC to take advantage of this. They have an extensive library for research as well.

Re: Re:

Martin Rattler":1p3xrzhy said:
That sounds interesting, you’ll have to post some pics. I don’t know anything about them myself, but the Veteran Cycle Club has a Marque Enthusiast for Leach Marathon and he should be able to provide advice although you will need to join the V-CC to take advantage of this. They have an extensive library for research as well.

Thank you - good advice

Pics will be forthcoming soon :)

Re:

Hi, I'm afraid its a black art with Leachs, Rivetts, and other NE London shops, I've been digging about as I have a Stokes of Walthamstow to restore, and I believe Leach, Stokes and Rivetts did some building, but its a bit of a black hole of information as far as the detail is concerned. As a guess does one of the serial numbers start with a five, your best bet is to put it up, and lets have a look, lugs and certain fittings can help date a frame. Terry

Re:

Thanks. Will take some detailed photos - need to anyway before the exquisite box lining and transfers fade off into the mists of time :roll:

The Reynolds sticker on the seat tube (531 Butted Tubes Forks & Stays) matches the size and lettering of the one listed by H Lloyd as 531G48-53 - "Early version of the one everyone recognises! Estimated use 1948-1953"

The weight of the frame, forks and headset is 6lb 10oz. Which is 6oz heavier than my 1948 Stallard 'Montlhéry' in A&P Kromo SAQ tubing.

The serial numbers on both rear dropouts begin with 2 and have 5 numbers.

Re:

Hi, wrong with the serial prefix, but it looks pre war to me, I will have a dig around, lovely frame. Terry

Re: leach marathon

Well found! I can't help with anything but it looks great now and will be lovely when finished!

Back