Kona Project 2 steerer length

Tupper

Retro Newbie
Just bought a P2 TB fork (410mm atc) from a well known online auction site. But I didn't pay enough attention to the clearly stated steerer length. It is only 121mm.

Would I be right in thinking this will only work on certain of the smaller sizes of Kona mid/late 90s frames? The bare Kilauea frames I intend to build up all have an 11cm head tube.

Does anyone know what head tube length would correspond to a 121mm steerer? Is Anthony still In this parish?

Any help/insight much appreciated.

Re:

I feel your pain.

I’ve got a 19” framed Fire Mountain and was looking for some P2s

I nearly ended up with a pair with a short steerer too earlier in the year. Then got another pair that we a bit dirty and scuffed but found, after a good clean up, a dent behind one of the brakes bosses.

So currently still ‘enjoying’ Quadra 5 forks!

Threaded or ahead steerer?

You can fit an ahead converter, which would be fine provided the headset top part is clear of the thread. Some converters like the Acor one have a series of thin spacers to go around the converter and allow an ahead top bearing to rest on the steerer.

Re:

Like Hamster said, you may be able to fit an Ahead convertor to the P2s that you have bought.

If however you want to keep a threaded Headset, you will need a Steerer length of 142mm for a 17" and 18" Kona Frame, which both have a 110mm Head Tube. A 121mm Steerer is suitable for 16" and little 14" frames, which both have a 90mm Head Tube.

Sadly Anthony is M.I.A.

Pip

Re:

Thanks Hamster and Pip for the ideas/info.

Maybe I will try to find a 14" or 16" frame and build a bike for one of the younger clan members!

Back