Wanted Kona Project 2 fork for 19" 1995 Cinder Cone

dkal

Retro Newbie
Hi, I've got a 95 Kona Cinder Cone that I've been riding since high school. It went through a commuter phase for several years but now I am trying to put it back in mountain biking mode (mid life crisis) and I am looking for a project 2 fork with the right length steering tube. I live in the states but would happily pay a fair price and shipping. I want to keep my old velocity stem so I am looking for threaded. Based on research so far I think I am looking for (happy to have this confirmed or be corrected if I am wrong):
1 1/8
410 ATC
163mm steerer?
cantilever brakes

I am new member here so hopefully this is an appropriate use of this forum. Cheers!!

Hi, I've got a 95 Kona Cinder Cone that I've been riding since high school. It went through a commuter phase for several years but now I am trying to put it back in mountain biking mode (mid life crisis) and I am looking for a project 2 fork with the right length steering tube. I live in the states but would happily pay a fair price and shipping. I want to keep my old velocity stem so I am looking for threaded. Based on research so far I think I am looking for (happy to have this confirmed or be corrected if I am wrong):
1 1/8
410 ATC
163mm steerer?
cantilever brakes

I am new member here so hopefully this is an appropriate use of this forum. Cheers!!
Hey, I just joined up too. A few minutes ago I got confirmation that my 19" 95 cinder cone is in a relatives garage. It is coming back to me for my son to use. I will be fitting a suspension on it. I assume the fork on it is a project 2. I would almost certainly part with it. There will be some lag time until I have the bike since it is in a different state, but I can let you know when I have it.

That would be great! Awesome that you get to pass on your bike to your son! Do you plan to keep the original headset? If you are planning on changing and it is in decent shape I would be interested in that as well!

It is pretty cool. I bought it new in college after my Bridgestone was "stolen" while being borrowed by a "friend" :). Pretty sure the Bridgestone payed a drug debt. Anyway... I will figure out with the headset. Sort of depends on how I am able to proceed with the shock. I have a rebuilt mag 21 kicking around, but I would need to swap the legs into a compatible crown/steerer. If I can't manage that, I will need to consider full swap of headset and stem. Given that I literally had an epiphany at about 11pm last night that the bike still existed, I have plenty of figuring to do. Definitely a good probability it will be available.

Had the bike out yesterday - thought I would snap a pic to share what I am trying to replace!

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: enc
Hey @ozimmerman, any idea when you might know if this is going to work out? No rush - just want to know if I need to keep looking or not and what the timeline might be. Also just learned that I am about 25 posts away from being able to message you privately - not sure exactly how that works.

I have a set of P2s not used in years as my old Cindercone runs AMP forks. From 1992 Cindercone, black, 163mm stem. Headsets available too. Straight and good working order but very tatty and really needs a respray as spots of rust through paint from poor storage.

Will try and get pics up later if interested

Roy/

I have a set of P2s not used in years as my old Cindercone runs AMP forks. From 1992 Cindercone, black, 163mm stem. Headsets available too. Straight and good working order but very tatty and really needs a respray as spots of rust through paint from poor storage.

Will try and get pics up later if interested

Roy/
Hey Roy, I would definitely be interested! Looking forward to pics. Still not giving up on @ozimmerman…
Do you (or does anyone) know if there was any significant difference between ‘92 and ‘95? Both would be 1 1/8 diameter?

Back