Kona Kilauea 1993

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, yes, I'm partial to the 91-93 graphics as well and yes, very lucky find indeed

What a great find, amazing work too! Stunning bike, I can't believe how a rattle can paint job can look so good. I am tempted to have a go now, thanks for the inspiration 👍

Thanks Lostcause, my Kilauea has been getting lot's of riding this spring and summer. Now that I can cross the border I've decided it will be my Birch Bay rider (at least for now). Not a lot of trail riding but some. I really love the way it rides.

It's gotten some much nicer Titanium Titec/Bontrager bars, I've used a Kona handlebar shim as I think it looks a bit better.

Other new goodies not installed yet: just received NOS Dia-Compe 987s yesterday so will fit them in couple weeks. The 987s currently on the bike work fine but one of the plastic spring covers on the front ones is broken and we can't have that (can we?). My front 987 calipers do not come apart for some reason like the rear version. Unsure why but they are a slightly different variant. Due to this I cannot try fitting an unbroken cover from my stash.

I tried sourcing some used calipers with unbroken spring covers on fleebay with no luck but noticed a full NOS set in box from Germany and couldn't resist.

Picture of the new bars:
20220702_215843136_iOS.jpg

It’s looking better all the time and what a change in its fortunes unloved and thrown away and now it’s getting treated to nos parts from overseas lol

Have you got any tips for getting such a paint finish with rattle cans? I’ve never attempted it before and I keep looking at yours and having an almost uncontrollable urge to buy some sandpaper and a few cans of paint….. lol

It’s looking better all the time and what a change in its fortunes unloved and thrown away and now it’s getting treated to nos parts from overseas lol

Have you got any tips for getting such a paint finish with rattle cans? I’ve never attempted it before and I keep looking at yours and having an almost uncontrollable urge to buy some sandpaper and a few cans of paint….. lol
The prep work was a huge undertaking. I had to remove my first rattle can attempt paint first which I wasn't happy with and then sanded everything as smooth as possible. I used a disc sander for some portions where possible. Around 300 grit is a good place to finish, smooth enough for painting.

I used more expensive automotive spray paint (Canadian Tire) which is a about $20 for cans half the size of normal. Start with base primer coat once threads, brake posts, etc are all masked. Then 2-3 coats of color followed by 2-3 coats of clear (glossy). The full decal set was available on eBay but there are many decal options including our resident Gil I hear so much about.

With the spray painting, through trial and error I have found it best to apply all three paint types in the same session. at least 10-15 minutes between coats, no longer than 1 hour in between. I've had many krinkle issues with curing waiting the required number of days if 1 hour is exceeded due to paint curing times.

I guess I'm saving money not getting it done by a pro but kind of enjoy the process, I paint a lot of components as well. The result is never as good as professionally done or as durable but I'm pretty careful with my bikes, especially ones with DIY paint jobs ;)

Okay, so think I’m done… We never know though do we? ;)

The NOS 987s are on. I’ve not had the pleasure of installing many NOS parts. These 987s are under rated IMO. My favorite Dia-Compe caliper. So nice to have all original rust free hardware and pads.

Another recent part change is the seatpost. I found the bike with a 26.8 post and it never clicked until recently it was too small. I did have to over tighten it but still not enough for me to clue in. After reading another Kona build thread recently where it was a 27.0 it dawned on me. The new Ritchey/Kalloy unit has a nice Nitto style head as well and logo mostly in tact. Nice to have the frame pinch bolt not looking over tightened.

Final weight is 22lbs 4oz.

Kona Kilauea 93 01.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 02.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 03.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 04.jpg

Kona Kilauea 93 05.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 06.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 07.jpg
Kona Kilauea 93 08.jpg

It would be a shame to use those brakes, they’ll create dust and that just won’t do! It’s looking very nice 👍 top job and knowing my build won’t be as nice, you’ve inspired me to buy a paint brush and get on with mine lol

Back