Kona Impact headset - broken pinch bolt ring

Lola88

Retro Newbie
Hi folks, looking for some advice. Bought a 92 Lava Dome from eBay and have just got round to stripping and giving it some TLC. Noticed the ring where you set the headset preload had been mangled by over-tightening by the previous owner when I bought it (bit broken off that holds the allen bolt - looks like they'd also taken a spanner to it as the outside notches were stripped!!!) but it was still just about holding on. I stripped and rebuilt the headset today but it's now given up the ghost - the bit with the threads is cracking and I can't get enough tension to keep everything from loosening up (see pic).

Just wondering what my options are here. The headset itself is in pretty good nick apart from the aforementioned damage. The races are clean and unworn, bearings were in great shape so I don't want to bin the whole thing.
Also aware if I was to go down the route of replacing I'd be looking for something with a very short stack height (I need to measure properly but I know it's around 32mm). Has anyone got any recommendations? I was just going to stick a jubilee clip on it for now so I can actually ride it but looking for a more elegant solution long term 😊

Jodie

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_160702030.jpg
    IMG_20210328_160702030.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 16
I recall other aftermarket lock rings. Maybe look out for something. Gorilla I think made some, I'm sure there were others.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks guys for the responses so far! Makes sense that there are aftermarket solutions out there, I've seen a few Impact headsets with messed up lockrings :) the Gorilla ones look absolutely indestructible! I might have to invest in one eventually, I like period-correct parts.
For now I think Mikey's solution will have to do until I've moved house and start to save up the pennies again.

Right....I’ve got a problem. I knew I had a Gorilla in original packaging SOMEWHERE...NOS, early 90s 1 inch from Durango. This thread got me thinking as to where the hell it could be, and not a peep in all the ‘headset’, ‘headset spacers’ and ‘headset spares’ boxes in the workshop. I finally found it in the box labelled......8 and 9 speed cassettes. Of course, natural place for it...duh. I’ve also got a GREY COMPONENTS headlock but that’s in use on an ancient nickel P7. Now...this is the problem...someone asked for it a few months back and I said that I thought I had it somewhere. I promised to get back to them but all the messages have been deleted. I will put a call up but if they do not ask for it then it will be available.....

Attachments

• 9263D58F-CE3B-4F8B-A6D9-77A8E0CDA241.jpeg
    9263D58F-CE3B-4F8B-A6D9-77A8E0CDA241.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 5
Right....I’ve got a problem. I knew I had a Gorilla in original packaging SOMEWHERE...NOS, early 90s 1 inch from Durango. This thread got me thinking as to where the hell it could be, and not a peep in all the ‘headset’, ‘headset spacers’ and ‘headset spares’ boxes in the workshop. I finally found it in the box labelled......8 and 9 speed cassettes. Of course, natural place for it...duh. I’ve also got a GREY COMPONENTS headlock but that’s in use on an ancient nickel P7. Now...this is the problem...someone asked for it a few months back and I said that I thought I had it somewhere. I promised to get back to them but all the messages have been deleted. I will put a call up but if they do not ask for it then it will be available.....
Oooo, let me know if there are no takers! Glad this thread got you looking for it - of course it was in the most obvious of places 🤣 amazing that it's turned up.

There was a full headset in the for sale section the other day.

Click on the Envelope, Click on Show All.

You get all your messages.

We don't have (or at least I cannot find) and additional folder we made in messages.
Which is a shame as I forgot to download them up before the forum change.

I had an overflow folder and a saved maybe useful folder.

But not to worry.
:)

Back