Kona ID - Help Please

There's always the possibility that this guy has got a stolen frame with numbers removed and just doesn't know it. Hope not

My first thought would be is it actually a Kona!?

There were a few frames made for different companies from the same factory as this. Same features, bullet dropouts etc, however, and a big however, all the other frames along with the Kona's which i had documented had similar S/N layouts, usually differing in the first letter for the different manufacturers. And i would have thought this would have had one also if it was from the same factory.

There have been a couple of Ti bikes come through the forum which as far as i remember were never fully identified through various doubts and reasons.

My research found around 20 manufacturers who had frames made by them, all had serial numbers, all had their own prefix, though some had more than one prefix allocated to them over the years of manufacture.

They also made frames for shops to sell stickered up with their own decals, and from memory they sold some leftover frames with their own branding. Some shop frames would not have necessarily had batches of bb shells stamped up as they would have been in small numbers.

I would have to see better pics of the dropouts and welds to be sure, but could still be one of their frames, in which case it will be as good as any of the others :)

As mentioned, the SN will be on the bottom of the BB shell, running parallel to the drive side crank.

No SN at all, then something is up.

Back