Kona Fire Mountain 1997

Old Fisher

Old School Hero
So there is a story to the bike. I had a lovely fleet of bikes stolen (6 bikes, plus 2 other family members bikes and my tools, spares, etc). A friend buys and sells old Kona bikes now and then after a tidy up. This one has all original papers but needed minor stuff: pedals, saddle, new brake cables but he gave it to me after the theft.

I got to try a fair few 90s Kona models but always owned Fisher (pre Trek ones) so was excited to own one finally!

I know the Fire Mountain wasn’t top spec or anything but I’m really happy with it.

50355089188_593b606fb7_c.jpg

Recently tried a wider bar (660mm Kona riser) and a slightly shorter stem (100mm) but found it created as many ‘issues’ (maybe quirks is better than issues) as it solved.

So to questions

Any other Fire Mountain owners?

also, if you have the 1997 model, is your paint really easily chipped?
Mine chips when I look hard enough at it 😢

thanks in advance for the replies

Nice looking bike. I had a late '98 MuniMula in the same colour and had problems with the lacquer chipping and peeling over the decals. I was given the opportunity by Kona for a replacement frame at the time but chose compensation in the form of a new Kona jersey instead as I had become quite attached to the bike. It was eventually replaced under warranty anyway after an accident with a storm drain 😔

Thanks for the reply 👍

The chips I mean go right back to the metal. The other day (while out trying the bar / stem combo) a small stone flicked up and hit one of the cable guides on the top tube and inflicted way much more chipping than I’d have expected.

One of those things I guess.

I will try and post up a picture or two from that ride to get comments on the set up I tried. Although it’s back to the original bar/stem now as I mentioned.

I do think older bikes just look 'right' with flat bars but the originals are so freakin' short. I've fitted motorcycle flats to my new build while desperately trying to ignore the weight 😂 It's character building 💪

Here is an example of the chipping I mentioned:

51195916239_ca85f9559c_w.jpg

I has some pretty bad ones - fortunately not rusty - on the back of the seat tube which I've used a Kona logo to cover/protect for now

51195915769_751961fa2e_w.jpg

Nice bike, all steel Kona's ride great regardless of model.

There are a few flat bars over 600mm, i use X-lite flat bars on a couple of my bikes, im sure they are 620mm. Sometimes bar ends can help on really narrow bars, i know they take some of the room up but make up for it in hand positions.

Thanks. Yeah, it handles so nicely. I have some woods near my house with narrow overgrown edges to the singletrack and it is speeder bike fast along them!

I am interested to hear which bar/stem combo everyone prefers the look of?

Just to add, the others bits I added were: Charge Spoon (Wiggle white and orange edition), Blackburn bottle cages and some Onza pedals.

I personally like the look of the riser, but its whatever you find comfy. Great bikes. I've not had a chipping problem on the slightly later ones, but maybe they addressed it.

Another update 😎 back on the riser bars after damaging my neck at work and they are way more comfy.

Love the way it is such a nice ‘grab and go’ bike

Back