Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Sorry but I feel a Victor Meldrew quote is needed here..... ' I Don't Believe It! ' Fantastic transformation and well done, looks so good now šŸ‘.

Reactions: enc
Well after 6 years i think ive gone as far as i want to go with this. Soooo... it's finished.

A 6 year "rolling restoration" and it rides beautifully... a testament to the quality steel frame and decent components.
Parts replaced ...
Seat
tyres
front cantilever brake
Bottom bracket

All other components are as came with the bike and have been either serviced, polished or painted. Frame and forks are original and though the paint has faded from its original purple, Ive grown to ā€œtolerateā€ the sky blue itā€™s faded too :)

to recap, below is the original eBay ad from 2015 and pictures used in the ad.

JNKYTYW.jpg

hBHFXj0.jpg

01EwsMJ.jpg

YjWlJcf.jpg

aaSHpZH.jpg

oyvpQCR.jpg

4kT4R2K.jpg

5LRNmCt.jpg

5O4nvxW.jpg

dLLj9BI.jpg

j6bPvo3.jpg

y2DtXUy.jpg

Last edited:
Top job. I like these, had three different ones and all have something about themā€¦.

Top work. I'll always have a soft spot for an Explosif

Cheers.

Yeah.. love this era Konas šŸ˜Ž

I have a couple awaiting builds. Never seem to find the time.....

I'll check out your video later :)

I'm pretty sure I've decided on an Explosif for my next build/restoration! This is great inspiration!

I rode my friends 2006/7 Lava dome recently at a downhill park in Wales and it was so fun to ride, so now I'm on the hunt for a good steel frame to start from.

The Lava Dome had adjustuble dropouts for the rear wheel which seemed pretty cool because you could get 650b wheels in there, and from some research I found the Explosif had a similar feature around the same time, and apparently a better construction than the Lava Dome. So if anyone comes across one, let me know!

Back