Koga Miyata Fullpro-S 1984 Resto

jason1788

Dirt Disciple
So I bought this Dutch-Japanese beauty this summer and have started dismantling.

I've already sourced a decal set from the guy on Ebay who seems to offer a remarkable selection of K-M decals and I must say they are excellent. I was a bit disappointed with the "triple butted tubing" decal - which didn't appear in the online catalogs until 1986. The catalogs are very detailed regarding the tubing for each model, even whether it applies to "main tubing only" or "complete frame". I contacted the decal guy about this and he sent me a replacement with the correct wording, Top Chap! See below for the catalog pic, the triple butted decal and the replacement double butted decal.

I was planning to replace the AX chainset and pedals with DA 7400 parts but since reading about the whole Shimano aero thing I decided they are quite cool and being in good condition I will rebuild and keep. These low-height pedals add 1.7cm to the effective frame size (it measures 58cm but is stamped 60DD) but the bike seems to fit me just fine.

Thanks for reading, I'll post more over the next months as I work on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_100101.jpg
    IMG_20200925_100101.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,792
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,791
Re:

That's a good looking machine, I particularly like the 'Aero' shifters and the seat stays and clamp look very unusual.
The Japanese were and still are 'Master Frame Builders'.. :)

Re: Re:

vcballbat":849qac2r said:
That's a good looking machine, I particularly like the 'Aero' shifters and the seat stays and clamp look very unusual.
These frames were built by the Dutch from Japanese tubes ;)

Re: Re:

Ruimteaapje":2nl1fxsi said:
vcballbat":2nl1fxsi said:
These frames were built by the Dutch from Japanese tubes ;)

Really? I thought the frames were imported from Japan and assembled as bikes in Holland.

Re:

I thought the frames were imported complete. But I suppose it's a bit like some current high end Italian bikes where the frames are made in Taiwan but nobody wants to admit it. Either way I'm happy with the frame.

I'm not sure why all the decals were removed, the rest of the the bike is in such good condition and has seen little use. Maybe 1980s anti-Japanese sentiment?

Bike assembled in Heerenveen, frame from Japan.

In 1993 Koga introduced a model with Columbus Max tubing: the FullPro-L. The tubing was shipped to Japan, the frame was sent back to Europe.

Back