KMC missing link loose

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've had fake ones off eBay which refuse to click locked - this is different - it's become loose following being reused a few times. Had to remove the chain to sort an issue with the mech. When I refitted the chain the missing link just slid back into place (no click). It's rideable as-is but I've ordered a new one. Was tempted to just join the chain the old fashioned way but I like the convenience of these.

Anyone else had the same?

Not personally but I did notice recently that when I've bought new ones, they state for single use rather than reusing. The cynic in me thinks this is yet another way to make money and disposable rather than reusable products.

I've had fake ones off eBay which refuse to click locked - this is different - it's become loose following being reused a few times. Had to remove the chain to sort an issue with the mech. When I refitted the chain the missing link just slid back into place (no click). It's rideable as-is but I've ordered a new one. Was tempted to just join the chain the old fashioned way but I like the convenience of these.

Anyone else had the same?
yes.
like others, i thought i could use them several times and the single use argument was just a money making ploy.

i'm climbing up towards Holme moss, still on the large ring and intended to drop to the smaller ring ready for the climb proper. As the chain dropped, pedal tension slackens and the recoil undid the missing link, the result i left a snake of chain on the road with my bike now chainless. Some shortening and fettling with an emergency chain tool saw me get home, but the lesson i learned is that they have an end life.

It renders them absolutely pointless. When fitting you have to break the chain anyway to size it so you might as well join it the old fashioned way. The whole point in a quick link is it allows you to remove the chain quickly.

:rolleyes:

Is it KMC that has two versions? Single and Multiple use?
Or was that Wipperman?

It renders them absolutely pointless. When fitting you have to break the chain anyway to size it so you might as well join it the old fashioned way. The whole point in a quick link is it allows you to remove the chain quickly.

:rolleyes:
Yes that's probably true.
however, their real use is as a spare in your tool pouch just in case you snap a chain.

Yes that's probably true.
however, their real use is as a spare in your tool pouch just in case you snap a chain.

Maybe. You'd likely still need a chain tool to prepare it. In which case...

I think with 9 speed and above chains they recommend not joining them manually, so they have a use there...

No, they are the "standard" way to join many chains. Pushing a pin in and out hasn't worked effectively since 8 speed. Except with Shimanos OS pins.

Is it KMC that has two versions? Single and Multiple use?
Or was that Wipperman?
If you buy a KMC chain in a sealed plastic box (so the way they're usually sold) it will come with the missing link and instructions how to use it which contain a warning to not do so more than 3 times. At least that's the case with the 9-speed chains.

i had this issue when fitting on an older shimano chain. it just slid on but didn't necessarily snap into place. never slipped or fell off, but was definitely janky. it was OEM original for sure because i purchased it at the local shop, however i wouldn't doubt some of the ebay ones being sketch as they're often drop-shipped from china.

that being said, i DID notice that even for something like the 7speed version for example, they have multiple sizes and widths. 7.1 and 7.3 are both available. i did notice the lack of locking-in had mostly to do with the prong of the missing link not being wide enough giving enough bite to fully lock in, but instead meagerly sliding in at the head. haven't looked further into it really but that could very well be the problem

Back