Just picked up this Claud Butler Majestic

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
IMG_3083.jpeg
This showed up on Gumtree about 5mins walk from me and I couldn’t resist.
It needs a thorough service, clean and tyres, saddle etc but seems original. Looks like it was carefully owned by the sellers Grandad before being left in the shed for some years..
I was even able to ride it home (which I can’t often say about some of the scruffy bikes I tend to buy!), and boy does it ride nice! Really smooth, can’t wait to refurbish this one and it’ll be one I’m planning to keep and put some miles on.
Updates to follow as I dig in to it.

View attachment 805213
This showed up on Gumtree about 5mins walk from me and I couldn’t resist.
It needs a thorough service, clean and tyres, saddle etc but seems original. Looks like it was carefully owned by the sellers Grandad before being left in the shed for some years..
I was even able to ride it home (which I can’t often say about some of the scruffy bikes I tend to buy!), and boy does it ride nice! Really smooth, can’t wait to refurbish this one and it’ll be one I’m planning to keep and put some miles on.
Updates to follow as I dig in to it.
Nice bike, they are smooth riding bikes.

IMG_3085.jpeg
This stripped down with no major issues - phew! I’ve given the frame a quick clean up with some wd40 and a rag as a starter, overall it’s pretty good. No major rust or damage at all, next step is a thorough wash and then t-cut and polish.
I’ll clean up and service all the components and refit them bit by bit - should be a nice project for over the Christmas break.
The original mudguards were broken/rusted and have been binned, I’ve got some Blumels which might be ok - not sure if it needs them and the rack (although that’s in very good condition). I’ll see how it looks without them and go from there.

I purchased a Majestic frame about 2 years ago for the princely sum of £30!
I put it together as a fixed wheel winter steed. I am so pleased with the quality of the ride
experience. The longer wheelbase, as compared to a modern road bike, gives it a
solid planted feeling. All road chatter is absorbed quietly and I feel relaxed even after a longish ride.
I am so pleased with this bike.
I hope your build proceeds smoothly and that tour experience of riding is as positive as mine,

Hi Sparky, must be something in the air, I picked up a CB Velox S a couple of weeks ago, rides lovely. Looks like a nice recovery job you are starting, best of luck!

Made some good progress on this over the last few days. First job was to strip and service both wheel hubs, they both came out fine, not much wear on these to report. Next was a wash and t-cut on the frame/forks - they’ve come out pretty good, some scuffs and little rust spots, not too bad for the age I’d say.
IMG_3113.jpeg IMG_3114.jpeg IMG_3115.jpeg
The rear freewheel is in great condition and nice and clicky sounding!
IMG_3116.jpeg
Next I polished the seat post and bolt and fitted up this classic suede saddle which I kept off and old Italian frameset I bought and then sold on.
IMG_3117.jpeg
The suede had lifted a bit and was pretty dry but I glued and stapled it back down and then gave it a feed with Brooks proofide, looking good so far. Next I’ll polish up the rims and hubs and then mount the new tyres/tubes which arrived today.
Coming along nicely - can’t wait to ride it again!

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 3
I’ve had a fair bit of time to crack on with this over the last couple of days.
IMG_3121.jpeg
Got the wheels polished up, trued and the new tyres on, components next:
IMG_3122.jpeg
Everything was in good order just desperately needed cleaning and servicing. I actually went with a sealed bb from my spares - might as well use what I have and also less maintenance.
Got it all built up this morning.
IMG_3123.jpeg IMG_3125.jpeg IMG_3124.jpeg

Back