Just One Mountain Bike in Genesis Bike's 2021 Range

hookooekoo

Senior Retro Guru
I was browsing the Genesis Bikes website earlier.

In the Mountain Bikes product category there is:
  • one version of Longitude

In the Adventure and Gravel bikes product category there are:
  • ten versions of Croix De Fer
  • three versions of Fugio
  • three versions of Cda
  • one version of Vagabond
With the exception of a couple of straight-bar versions, all the adventure and gravel bikes just look like cyclocross bikes to me.

In the Utility bikes product category there is:
  • one version of Brixton
  • one version of Day One
  • one version of Broadway
  • one version of Flyer

Three out of four of these bikes (Day One, Broadway, and Flyer) could have appeared in the 'Adventure and Gravel' product category, as they are pretty much the same as the bikes in that category. The Flyer used to be a singlespeed/fixed road bike with road tyres, but it is now being marketed with nobbly, cyclocross style tyres.

In the road bikes product category there are:
  • two versions of equilibrium

In the touring bikes product category there are:
  • four versions of Tour de Fer

To summarise
  • one mountain bike
  • twenty cyclocross bikes
  • one town bike (Brixton)
  • two road bikes
  • four tourers

Back in 2011 they were offering multiple different mountain bikes.

Meh, Genesis bikes are poo anyway from my experience, so no great loss.

It's very much a sign of the times though, multiple versions of essentially the same thing, bit like the car industry I guess.

and meanwhile sister brand Saracen have dropped their Gravel/adventure offerings. I suspect they are concentrating on the things each brand sells the most of. The brands only exist to sell bikes after all.

The glory days of lightweight cross country mountain bikes are dead, replaced by fat tyred, 35lb, long Sus motorless motorbikes with 70 tooth dinner plate cassettes.

The obsession with gravel bikes also confounds me. I find them offensive and not to my taste.

Meh, Genesis bikes are poo anyway from my experience, so no great loss.
I always thought that most bikes are probably made in the same factories in China and Taiwan, so maybe not much difference. And Genesis did at least used to offer some fully rigid mountain bikes.

and meanwhile sister brand Saracen have dropped their Gravel/adventure offerings. I suspect they are concentrating on the things each brand sells the most of. The brands only exist to sell bikes after all.
That's interesting. I didn't know Saracen was part of the same group. But Saracen don't appear to have any fully rigid mountain bikes either.

I suppose I could buy a Karate Monkey frameset, but buying framesets is always poorer value for money than buying bikes.

This should be in the 98+ section.
Sorry for my mistake.

The glory days of lightweight cross country mountain bikes are dead, replaced by fat tyred, 35lb, long Sus motorless motorbikes with 70 tooth dinner plate cassettes.
I suspect that the wheelbase dimension has also increased. More stability, but less manoeuvrability. I'm thinking of adding a 29er to my stable of bikes, but I'm not interested in suspension.

Moved to post 1998 section.
Thanks.

I wanted to try a 29er and picked up an as new Genesis High Latitude frame from 2016. I’ve put a longer 120mm fork on, -2 degree angleset, short stem, wide bars, big tyres and dropper and it is brilliant. Not springy for a steel bike but I like it a a lot. It does everything so well and is really versatile. But none of their recent mtbs appealed and the hardtail market is so competitive now that Genesis were just not special enough

Attachments

• 04AC4C14-50A1-4D8F-80AF-0F3F786522C9.jpeg
    04AC4C14-50A1-4D8F-80AF-0F3F786522C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Back