Just bought a 2006 Kona Explosif -non-suspension forks advice /recommendations please.

TheGrogster

Retro Newbie
Ive just pulled the trigger on a 2006 Kona Explosif frame @ £115. Currently I am thinking that I will build it up with riser bars, a coaster brake and rigid forks.

I know that the original bike came with 100mm travel forks. Will project 2 forks work with this or is the geometry not designed for that?

Also the frame is made of Dedacciai SAT Butted Cromoly which is something Ive never come across before. Any more info on that or the bike generally would love to know more.

Thanks.

You can get late project IIs which will work, they will need to be 425 or 445mm axle-crown. I've got a set on an earlier Lava Dome and they are fantastic, provision for disk AND canti mounts, and very comfy.

My 2008 explosif is running some carbon forks from Exotic Carbon. 445mm.

I'm still getting to know the Explosif, which I think shares the same tubing as yours. I find it a fairly stiff frame, but still comfy-ish. And it makes for a very light bike.

20230604_201827.jpg

I'd 2nd the exotic carbon forks - I've had them on a couple of bikes and they are really nice, even with a skinny headtube like on the bontrager.

1689361024976.png

I wouldn't get bogged down with running Kona p2s. Great forks no doubt, but build it as you want to ride it. Exotics are great forks, I've had a few on builds and some stashed, just in case. Pace of course were the og rigid carbon and nothing wrong with them either, arguably nicer looking than the exotics imho.

Last edited:
Quite a few options depending on budget and material preference.

These look quite nice.

You can get late project IIs which will work, they will need to be 425 or 445mm axle-crown. I've got a set on an earlier Lava Dome and they are fantastic, provision for disk AND canti mounts, and very comfy.

My 2008 explosif is running some carbon forks from Exotic Carbon. 445mm.

I'm still getting to know the Explosif, which I think shares the same tubing as yours. I find it a fairly stiff frame, but still comfy-ish. And it makes for a very light bike.

View attachment 758828
If that's original paint then that's a 2005 Kona Explosif UK Ltd Edition. Same frame as the 2006 I believe. I had one at the time. Deddacciai Sat 12.5 tubing if I remember correctly.

Also the frame only version of the 2005 year was a silvery grey colour whereas the full bike came only in black. 2006 was green.

Thanks for this thread, just got a 2006 Explosif frame myself and was wondering exactly the same on fork height. I have a 42cm Carbon Exotic fork on a Kona Kula and really like that. I may go for suspension on the Explosif as enjoying the 26" frames more than the modern 29er I bought a while ago. A bit of front suspension would open up more routes and/or reduce rider wear and tear!
Good to know frame material too now as Deda sticker is nearly gone on this frame.

Back