Kona Explosif 2006 spec?

moonlite

Kona Fan
I'm hoping the assembled masses on here will be able to help me work out the spec of a bike I seem to have bought.

It's a 2006 Kona Explosif (seller's pic below). I threw in a speculative bid on eBay and rather surprisingly I won it. I don't even know what size it is but suspect it will be too small for me, so it may have to be sold on or foisted on a relative.

As well as the size, there's no information on the ad about the spec -- I can see some details, like a Marzocchi Gran Fondo form and Sunrims XC rims, but not much else.

I can't find a catalogue online for that year and Kona's own website has details of the geometry only. From what I can work out, this was available as a frame only in the catalogue, but sold in the UK as a full build. All I can find is the partial spec below, from BikeRadar. In an example of rather poor journalism, their review makes much of the fork's shortcomings without saying what it is!

Does anyone know what the full UK spec was? Was the Gran Fondo standard, for example? Any info gratefully received.

335924378_6393366584008310_113785033101326019_n.jpeg partial spec.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks FluffyChicken! At first I couldn't get through to Bikepedia as Chrome told me it was unsafe, but got there in the end. Much appreciated.

I've got a 2008 and I think pretty similar. It seems they were available as frames only but quite a few shops bought them up and built them in various guises perhaps?

Mine came with some fairly entry-level kit considering the usual Explosif standard.

I had the 2005 which is near identical spec I believe.
Marzocchis EXR Pro forks,
Hayes hfx 9 brakes,
Raceface ride cranks,
Sun ringle ds2 xc rims,
Think it was LX shifters and xt rear mech.

I had the 2005 which is near identical spec I believe.
Marzocchis EXR Pro forks,
Hayes hfx 9 brakes,
Raceface ride cranks,
Sun ringle ds2 xc rims,
Think it was LX shifters and xt rear mech.
That's pretty much what mine came with! Certainly forks and wheels.

I've got a 2008 and I think pretty similar. It seems they were available as frames only but quite a few shops bought them up and built them in various guises perhaps?

Mine came with some fairly entry-level kit considering the usual Explosif standard.
From what I've read (thanks again Fluffychicken), the built-up versions in the UK did have quite low-level parts: Easton EA-30 bar and stem, for example, and Shimano M525 hubs.

I guess that just means it's a good prospect for upgrades -- better parts will bring out the virtues of the frame.

Back