JUDY T2 EXPERTS - I NEED YOU!

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
Now i'm generally an Indy person.
But i bought some Judy T2's (i appreciate they're 98 but they are elastomer and coil.....) AGES ago - in bits, but all present and correct.
I finally have the frame i was after and i plan to install the T2's.
But i'm unsure of the order to put them back together in :?
I've read (i think) all of the posts regaridng T2's on here, none of which describe the assembly order.
My confusion is compounded by the RockShox exploded diagram.
The shoulder on my neutral shafts (17) is not central, so i assume having them one way around or the other makes a difference?
Does the exploded diagram describe how things go together accurately?
It's just that:
I have x2 flat washers (1:cool: - the diagram shows x1.
My upper shaft O rings (16) are inside my upper shaft guides (15) - the diagram shows them seperate.
I don't want to get it wrong and damage/break something that might be hard to replace.
Thankyou Judy experts!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 189
Where are all the Judy experts?

I wouldn't call it an inspiration, but this morning i thought.....
It tanspires that the neutral shafts must go the same way around as they are identical in dimensions and are only threaded at one end - the end that goes at the bottom of the fork.
I might end up answering my own question eventually and will document progress in order to offer assistance to anyone in the future.
So.....neutral shafts orientated correctly with shaft bolts in place.
Now it's just the rest of the bits.....

Attachments

• neutralshafts.jpg
    neutralshafts.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 138
Judy T2's

Small steps, but.....

1. The shaft guide O ring does go 'into' the shaft guide - if it didn't it would just slide up and down pointlessly.

2. The bottom of the lowers have a recess (for the cartridge retaining ring).

3. Plus a 'shoulder' - that seems to be there to accept and stop the lower shaft guides.
The shaft guides butt up against it perfectly.....but back to that pesky exploded diagram.
The diagram suggests the shaft guides are placed in opposite directions in each leg.
But in both instances the wavy washers are 'outboard' of the shaft guides.
Placing the wavy washers inboard of the shaft guides, that is - between the shaft guides and the shoulders creates a much better 'feeling' arrangement.

4. The bottom out bumper appears to be outboard of the lower - i'm struggling to accept this.

We struggle on..... :(

Attachments

• Shaft Guide + O Ring_Small.jpg
    Shaft Guide + O Ring_Small.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Shoulder_Small.jpg
    Shoulder_Small.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Lower Shaft Guide1_Small.jpg
    Lower Shaft Guide1_Small.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Lower Shaft Guide2_Small.jpg
    Lower Shaft Guide2_Small.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 91
I know this is an old thread but I'm rehabbing a TREK 8000 which has a JUDY T2 on it.
Did you put 15wt oil in the bottom? I have read that these forks do not have oil in them.

thanks

I should imagine any oil will dribble out via the threads. They're designed to be lubricated with Judy Butter, unlike the later 'Hydrocoil' branded Judys.

I should imagine any oil will dribble out via the threads. They're designed to be lubricated with Judy Butter, unlike the later 'Hydrocoil' branded Judys.
There are crush washers on the bottom bolts that why I thought there would be oil in there.

These T2's (if same year) used a splash of oil at the bottom for lubrication only. you may also put it around the wiper seals too.

Back