By Jove, I think I've cracked it :D

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I'd an older Moto V2 brake i got from ebay about 5 years ago i bought to service.
I removed the old pistons, both of which were knackered and took out the seals, had a cursory look for replacement bits, found a couple of Moto pistons,bought replacement seals which turned out to be wrong.

The seals i'd got- following Hopes product details on their site were wrong because it lists the 2007 V2 and the 2010 V2 as having the same seals, and today that is true. but it was clear that the seals i'd bought HBSP207 were clearly wrong because they were too thin for the seal recess. A measurement put the old seals at 2.5mm deep, and the 2007/2010 seals at 2mm deep.
Thinking i'd made the mistake of getting the wrong year, which from the packet they came in was for the 2010 caliper, I thought it best to go only with the product number.
The difference appeared to be the 2007 seal was HBSP207, and the 2010 seal was actually designated HBSPC41:TV2(obviously Tech V2) despite the exploded diagram showing both calipers having the same seal product code I guessed someone at hope had messed up.

I thought it best to find the seals that were specifically labeled Moto V2 seals HBSP207. Ordered a 2nd pair, fitted and these also turned out to be too narrow for the recess - (What was happening was the seal recess was too deep for a 2mm seal and the seals fitted were sitting below the level of the caliper body,) but by now I'd bought both types, and both being wrong there had to be a 3rd V2 caliper not listed on Hopes site.

So I phoned Hope.
Spoke to a Johnny. And during the conversation, especially when i mentioned the different sizes - 2.5mm and 2mm did he have a memory that there was indeed a 3rd caliper that took a 2.5mm seal, but one of the pro teams was having problems with them so they rejigged the caliper seal recess to 2mm and this is now the standard size for all their seals- x2,v2,etc etc
Looks like I got the right bloke on the phone :D One of the other technicians or staff likely wouldnt have known about this first caliper.
Johnny assured me he would send out a pair of the early seals, but a few days later got an email from him, saying they'd searched high and low but couldnt find any, but then assured me he would send other seals that would fit and work fine.
I awaited my package :D

A few days later a rather larger than expected package arrived, i guessed it was from hope.
In it was a note - Goodwill gesture - A new pair (2 of) Tech3 V2 calipers . Holy S*** :eek:

I guessed they couldnt find any seals at al and had sent these as way of a sorry probably for messing up on the product codes and the fact they'd promised me seals and found they couldnt actually deliver.

Sent the thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you email :LOL:

So that odd little ebay purchase has returned dividends :LOL: in the shape of a brand new pair of V2 calipers.
Again, a big thanks to Hope, not only for these new brakes, but for the time and effort put in to helping me find out what exactly was wrong and if not rectifying it, producing a solution that made me very happy.

Last edited:
The 'cracked it' bit really relates to having a gigantic pile of ancient Hope -parts, collected over a couple of decades.

In it I've about 4 boxes crammed with odds and ends, pistons, seals, pads, axles etc etc etc etc and I thought in there I'd some seals that were thicker then others, which were maybe off Hope's trial caliper.
So I spend last night going through all the seals and measuring them.
In it were two, and only two of the thicker seals(out of about 40) and they measured at 2.42mm, which is close enough and i would think original seals at 2.5mm would be exact and maybe only down to me dodgy measuring calipers.
So I've fitted them, and fitted the pistons in the older caliper, and in a bit i'll fit the moto lever, pressurize the system and check it isnt going to leak and the pistons retract as they should.
Due to the changes made by Hope, although I'll hopefully get it working, it might prove to be problematic but I'll see how that goes.
I think the early trial calipers, or maybe the C2 seals might be the ones that im using, so perhaps not the correct thing, but heres hoping.

Either way its been an interesting project, and perhaps a lesson in moving carefully and taking closer scrutiny of what you have and what you actually need and dont just pull things apart in their entirety. The original pistons were knackered and while replacing the seals too should have been a matter of course, perhaps i should have retained them or even reused as once they've been removed, youre kind of stuck going in one direction. I might have knacked the brake unit entirely

Back