Wanted Joytech 7 speed freehub

robpuk

Dirt Disciple
Hi, anyone got one of these lying around, please? My old one from an old Sunn road bike no longer engages.

strip it down and rebuild it. typically only 2 reasons why it won't engage, 1 is an easier fix than than the other.
1. gummed up pawls. fix - clean it, apply a light lubrication, rebuild. this one is easy
2. snapped pawl spring. fix - source a new pawl spring (last time I made one from piano wire), clean it, apply a light lubrication, rebuild it. this one isn't as easy.
there are 2 tools needed, one to get it off the bike, which is normally a 11-12mm allen key and one is remove the outer race that also acts as the lock ring, this is a special tool, but look on ebay for a freehub tool, there a hundreds and they are cheap.

Thanks for your answer. I've managed to get it working by soaking with releasing fluid but obviously the bearings and pawls won't have any lubrication so I've ordered one of the tools you suggested. Many thanks for the advice.

Good luck. There are plenty of videos online for doing it. Only word of warning is watch for all the little bearings. I do mine in a tray.

Thanks. Judging by how it feels I think I'm probably going to need new bearings. Hope the races are Ok.

Picture of what to expect in this thread.

Pleased to say I managed to strip, clean grease and reassemble this and it's now working fine. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Back