Joe Waugh with Mudguard eyelets?

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
I have been offered a frameset, which is claimed to be a Joe Waugh.

It is the right weight for a 531c, has nice lugs and dropouts, but it has mudguard eyelets.

Now, I have never doubted that any framebuilder would make a frame with them, if asked by a customer, it's just that scouring the internet, I can't find a single image of a Joe Waugh frameset with eyelets.

So, does anyone know if Joe Waugh ever made winter frames?

Thanks

Most Joe Waugh (or M Steele) frames were custom made so you could specify anything you wanted. I know a few people who had winter frames built with a bit more clearance and mudguard eyes back in the day. Although this was a luxury out of reach for most of us young club riders, we just made do with an old race frame and some kind of bodge to fit mudguards for the winter.

Re:

When I bought my Joe Waugh in 1988 you could specify pretty much anything you wanted and could afford.
My Optometrist actually bought a Gold Medal deluxe and had mudgard eyes added as he only had one bike and wanted to add guards in winter. So this frame you are looking at is legit. What colour is it?

Re:

That's funny... he had two because one was stolen and I remember at least one being blue! I think the other was gray

Back