Jack Taylor Super Tourist - unused

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Jack Taylor Super Tourist 21" as new and unbuilt
I finally took delivery of this lovely frame when it's owner came to stay recently.
It came into the hands of a good friend a few years back when he purchased a estate sale job lot of bikes and frames and was offered to me at the time right off the bat as it was too small for the buyer. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have the funds to do it and thought it would be going back overseas with him when he left. His parting words almost 2 years ago now were " if you want it just take it and sort me later, otherwise I know you will want it in six months time and I will have to send it halfway round the world' I stayed strong and said no. Well at least I lasted longer than the six months and I found out on his return he was selling some of his collection and this was still sitting there. of course I said if the Jack Taylors are up for grabs I am always interested. He did manage to also get a larger International model that I am pleased he has kept.
This frame is an interesting and sometimes confusing model as it is original and by the looks of it never fully built with several features that at first made us question it's authenticity. The first of these being a lack of proper frame number other than the original owners postcode which was where they were purchased with his widow and son saying this frame was built for him many years back on order with Jack Taylor Cycles. The postcode is up in that area so makes sense. The frame has some surface rust on the bare metal parts such as canti mounts and just inside seatpost and bottom bracket but clearly never had anything fitted and used. I originally thought a respray by Jack but they would normally have the refinished by Jack Taylor Cycles seat and head badge and a very close look shows this to be original paint and clearly in Jacks style common to the fade they were known for as well as it being a quality finish. Little things such as the Taylor rack mounts, brake bridge as well as the water bottle mounts being typically Taylor in being imperial nuts mounted on the frame. Then when Ken Taylor inspected at the 2020 Jack Taylor weekend and gave his approval my mind was eased but then I was kicking myself I couldn't afford it.
Fast forward almost 2 years and here it is sitting as my next project to be built as my Tourer/Randonneur for the longer rides and trips. The idea at the moment is for a good dependable working build much like my others, Mafac, Nitto, Brooks, Stronglight triple etc but maybe a bit of touring bling if there is such a thing. One thing I do have and slotted straight on the front was a Jack Taylor front rack, though in green so will need to strip and finish in black, I think.
It's early days and in no rush but would really like to be on it this summer.
I will update as I go, but for now here is a couple of quick photos from the other evening after work.
Just wanted to share.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Kens inspection. 2020
118352891_10223827928869157_985231360219396693_n by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Gorgeous colour and I love those seat stay tops.
Watching in anticipation, it would be wonderful to have another “newcomer” to ogle at the bank holiday ride. 😃

Did you ever get this built up @Jamiedyer ?
Hi Tommy
No at this stage it remains unbuilt but I have been gathering parts for it slowly over the past year. Ironically my good friend who gave me the frame is due to land here tonight to visit with his wife before we both head down to the Jack Taylor ride at Stokesley next Sunday.
It will eventually be built and ridden as I am not normally one to hide stuff away, but this is a keeper so no rush.
The distracting issue is I have a fully built sibling for it that I sorted 4 months ago and that I pick up on my way next weekend so plans could change.
We will see.

I've been going down a Jack Taylor wormhole lately, mostly through http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/

Looks like they carried on using older tubes/ tubing badges post Jack's retirement. Did Ken indicate it could be one of his and Norman's frames? It has two bottle cage mounts for instance, which seems to mark it as later.

As a JT owner I find them fascinating, probably the most interesting of the English Frame Builders, with their unique ability to pick the best of say what the French were doing, while being happy to merge it with their own ideas, the Italians and so on. Our tandem is so well balanced it feels much lighter than it's 46lbs.

Back