It could only happen to me................. Or could it ?

I had a really similar thing happen, with the soles detaching as the foam disintegrated. For me it was on the last day of a tour.

hamster":2irzy3fx said:
I had a really similar thing happen, with the soles detaching as the foam disintegrated. For me it was on the last day of a tour.

In one way it was pretty lucky it was the last day, but never a good thing to happen.

Once after stopping take a paddle in the sea in Mallorca, I was balancing on some rocks trying to decide whether to risk it and one of my shoes fell into the sea. The tide went out and carried my shoe with it. Thankfully, the next big wave brought it back in. Just as well as I wouldn't have fancied cycling the remaining 20 miles to the airport without it.

mattr":11qm4dga said:
I had similar on an early pair of Nike's. The sole was so fragile that the third or fourth unclipping resulted in me leaving the cleat, bolts and a chunk of sole attached to the pedal..... Only had them 30 minutes.

still got my original pair of 1995 Nike Super Pooh-bahs (brown suede ankle boot) - the only pair of MTB footwear I have ever owned!

Back