"Isn't modern bicycle technology absolutely wonderful?"😍

Twice the price of decent quality headsets, twice the material quality but maybe 4x the seal quality?

Unfortunately much more inconvenient if you do need to service, compared to swapping out a cartridge bearing.
Most CK headset owners just ignore them. That's not in the owners manual though.
Would love to see inside one if anyone has one apart or knows where there are good pictures 👍

how about a thread where everybody can talk about all the truly marvelous new tech.

Right here.

Part of the reason the bike industry is in the state it's in is because of all the planned obsolescence.
If I don't resonate with a lot of modern equipment, I'm hardly going to want to visit my local bike store am I?
So I see my original post on page 1 was quietly but heavily edited/redacted whatever you want to call it.
Which once again, is a form of censorship.
It was WAY longer than that!😲 Remember this image? Gone. Why?

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 21-33-06 Forum list.png

I originally wrote WAY more than that. Complaining that this thread was locked.
And, if you recall, this thread was conditional on that thread being unlocked.
And people know it. Please don't treat us like 5-year old children. We're adults!🙂

I created a popular post which is free content (and money in advertising) for you.
You've benefited from this thread, and yet the other one still hasn't been unlocked.

Go on then, lock this thread too when it doesn't start to go the way you want it.🙄

Last edited:
Recently had a two piece gear hanger snap in half not long after I used a shop torque wrench to adjust it:oops:

With the collapse of Wiggle and being a Vitus frame, finding a replacement was tricky and expensive.

So I looked around for another frameset to swap everything onto, should it happen again or if I decide to sell the Vitus. Bought that and the shop mechanic told me yesterday that it has a bearing specific to that headset! Bike specific headset bearings. I had to check it wasn't April 1st!
What does the dropout look like? I bought a few in the hope I could get a match for a non Vitus frame. Haven't yet checked but if I've a spare that could fit yours, I'd let one go

So I see my original post on page 1 was quietly but heavily edited/redacted whatever you want to call it.
Which once again, is a form of censorship. It doesn't even say "edited" on it now. But it was.
It was WAY longer than that!😲 Remember this image? Gone. Why?

View attachment 838495

I originally wrote WAY more than that. Complaining that this thread was locked.
And, if you recall, this thread was conditional on that thread being unlocked.
And people know it. Please don't treat us like 5-year old children. We're adults!🙂

I created a popular post which is free content (and money in advertising) for you.
You've benefited from this thread, and yet the other one still hasn't been unlocked.

Go on then, lock this thread too when it doesn't start to go the way you want it.🙄
Says it was edited by a moderator Match 24. I can't see why it was? Ours is not to reason why.. Edit, you can't hold people to ransom though, do this or else. Not really on, which may have been why you were edited.

Last edited:
Would love to see inside one if anyone has one apart or knows where there are good pictures 👍
Screenshot_20240411-081105_Firefox.jpg
It's a lot like a headset with the cartridge bearing stuck in there iirc.
Pic courtesy of Google but corresponds with my memory.

Reminds me of a thing I read about chains - under ideal conditions, your chain will basically last for ever - but those conditions don't exist.

King h/s is starting off with the best quality components in the most sealed environment.

In the old days a CK headset was light years ahead of anything else. It was absolutely a headset for life and worth the money. I had a second hand one and it felt like new. Unfortunately with the proliferation of different headset designs there’s no guarantee that it will fit your next bike. Was worth the investment in 1 1/8th days, but with tapered there’s so many different versions for the same size steerer there’s no guarantee it’ll fit your next build. The only one I ever bought new was for my gen 1 Santa Cruz Nomad. Had the bike 4 years and the headset didn’t needed touched in all that time. By the time I changed frame, tapered had came along and I sold the frame with the headset in it.
These days, basic headsets are much better and I struggle to see the value in CK, or even Hope headsets despite having a couple in the fleet. Bog standard FSA in my last hardtail did 8 winters on the original bearings, with only a couple of re-greasings.

Please don't treat us like 5-year old children.

EbUmqTSUcAAYeSG.jpg

Back