"Isn't modern bicycle technology absolutely wonderful?"😍

Chris King outboard bottom bracket is alright.👍
Because it's the one part that does wear out faster than the rest.

Chris King headsets though are massively over-specced on all custom builds.🙄
I really do begin to roll my eyes when I see this.
No one puts any thought into what other headsets to put on there, it's ridiculous!
I don't even own a bike with a Chris King headset anymore.

I have a Tiso, KCNC, gawd even crank bros (although no they were not that durable I admit, but lighter).
Even FSA headsets work alright these days... I'm going to get another Orbit MX for one bike... there are loads of other brands to choose from...

While we're on the subject and because I've always been too scared to ask on LFGSS, what exactly is it that makes CK headsets so smooth and why do they last so much longer than other headsets? not intending to open a can of worms, just genuinely interested. I've never had one in my hand to see for myself.

The amount of salt on this thread 🤣

Since we're talking about him / them, all hail Chris King headsets. Absolutely bullet proof, super durable, and most of all, super-super smooth. They look ace as well. The single best investment you can make on a bike. Fit and forget 👍

10779549-1363085892-992232.jpg
I see no condiments, just good quality but overpriced headsets.

What exactly is it that makes CK headsets so smooth and why do they last so much longer than other headsets?
Twice the price of decent quality headsets, twice the material quality but maybe 4x the seal quality?

Unfortunately much more inconvenient if you do need to service, compared to swapping out a cartridge bearing.
Most CK headset owners just ignore them. That's not in the owners manual though.

While we're on the subject and because I've always been too scared to ask on LFGSS, what exactly is it that makes CK headsets so smooth and why do they last so much longer than other headsets? not intending to open a can of worms, just genuinely interested. I've never had one in my hand to see for myself.
They make their own bearings:

(ugh, just noticed youtube changed their desktop layout, 'orrible it is now, 'orrible, comments are all farked & appear to the right, they should stop messing with it, they already messed with community subscriptions tab and totally fucked that up)

Getting back to CK, the bearings are serviceable. Can't say I've ever needed to do that. They just seem to make consistent quality stuff. I guess they regularly change their [cutting] tooling.

Back