Is this a 1995 (?) Diamond Back Axis ... Pro?

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Hi all,

What do you make of this frame? I am told it is date-stamped 1995 but I cannot for the life of me find any reference to an Axis "Pro" on the interwebs.

I am considering swapping my current XT/LX kit and Marzocchi XC-51 onto it as my current bike ('93 Diamond Back Response Elite) is one size too small.

I have read all about the TT Lite tubing and believe this frame to be a good fit for me, I am just thinking about restoring it (having it painted or powder coated and finding correct decals). Mostly just want to know what the original spec was.

And don't the "Snake Stays" decals indicate this bike is from outside the US?

Appreciate any help!

-kj-

Attachments

• axis-pro.jpg
    axis-pro.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 1,275
Re: Re:

thekidmalone":1yjqva4q said:
Hi kj,

There was an XTR equipped Axis Pro in the European Diamond Back range in 1992.

http://www.velovintageagogo.com/t10677- ... s-pro-1992

Hope this helps!

tkm

Yes! Mystery solved. Thank you very much!

No way I can afford an XTR kit for this rebuild so now I need to decide if I want to reuse my XT/LX mix or buy up the bits needed to go full XT.

Hmmmmm...

Next question: since the Apex is a rigid MTB, and the Marzocchi shocks I want to use effectively shorten the wheelbase (and slacken the head angle), I am wondering how this might affect handling. Stability when descending is important to me. I'm also heavy (just under 100 kg, working down to 98 or so) and I am used to (back in the day with my old '95 Mt. Tam at least) throwing the bike over logs and just climbing over them.

My Response Elite, on the other hand, was designed as a hardtail. If only the frame was one size larger.

Thanks again!

-kj-

Re:

Great looking frame. That would be a fun build. I'd just build it temporarily with the XT /LX bits and just keep an eye out for decent priced XTR stuff to swap eventually. Older DB's had far too much rake in the steering for my taste. The marzocchi may quicken your steering, but it would probably also raise the front end a bit. It's can't hurt to try it and find out. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

krakhaus":3ogudcyp said:
Great looking frame. That would be a fun build. I'd just build it temporarily with the XT /LX bits and just keep an eye out for decent priced XTR stuff to swap eventually. Older DB's had far too much rake in the steering for my taste. The marzocchi may quicken your steering, but it would probably also raise the front end a bit. It's can't hurt to try it and find out. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Thanks! Much appreciated. Appears to be the direction I'm heading! Anything I should be watching out for in this process?

-kj-

thekidmalone":33mym222 said:
Hi kj,

There was an XTR equipped Axis Pro in the European Diamond Back range in 1992.

http://www.velovintageagogo.com/t10677- ... s-pro-1992

Hope this helps!

tkm

Hi! Got the frame home and am starting the cleaning / preserving process, hope to start the build next week.

Assuming this is a '92 model, what do you make of this framestamp? Seller says the first "4" in the second set of numbers indicates it was produced in 1994. Is he right? if so, could this still be a '92? (Maybe it's a time machine...)

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 1,139
sam_white":3t420q9u said:
Save for the paint colour, the frame looks identical to my 1994 Axis.

What color is your Axis and were other colors available? Might be a key clue. In '92 apparently it only came in Gloss Black.

kjarrett":n2xjeln0 said:
What color is your Axis and were other colors available? Might be a key clue. In '92 apparently it only came in Gloss Black.

Mine is nickel plated. I think that was the only colour in 1994, the other Axis TT was natural titanium colour.

The Axis frame was all new in 1994 and continued with little modification until 1997 or 1998.

Thanks. Would love that finish. Does your rear brake get routed same as this pic (1992)? Or as mine?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-24 100108.png
    Annotation 2020-07-24 100108.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,111
Back