Is there a market for reproduction parts?

Anyone fancy a reproduction Muddy Fox? Bargain at only £149.00!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-recoil26-mens-938441#colcode=93844148

93844148_l.jpg

IRD are not the company they once were. Completely different beast, primarily a branding exercise now. Their freewheels piss me off, as I don't understand why they won't make smaller than 13T, especially if they're shouting from the rooftops about how they're aiming to reintroduce 'lost parts' the big boys have forgotten about etc...
Freewheels with a small top sprocket need a different design inside, PLUS the sprocket overhang (even with 13T) is a water trap so they don't last long.

And as for the first part of the statement, that's kinda what pisses me off I guess. They are proposing to offer something not available elsewhere, in which case surely they have the opportunity to design something with 'a different design inside' if that's what's needed? The IRD freewheels to me look like a cheap SunRace, with a different finish, and a blaggard price tag. To me, as I say!

Panaracer reissued the smoke and dart and Selle Italia reissued the Turbo seat.
For BMXers SE Bikes has reissued many of their old models over the years and Skyway made their TA frames in both the 20 inch and the 24 inch cruiser size a few years ago.
Also, the 2007-2010 Salsa Ala Carte was a tribute to their 1987-1990 Ala Cartes.

I would love to see some late 80's early 90's Klien Attitude frames/forks and MC stems reproduced.
Everytime they go up on ebay the bids go way past what I'm willing to spend...No matter how tatty they are :(.

Now, what I really would love to see (and it's there already with Grafton coming back, and with what Paul and White Industries continue to produce) is more people putting the R&D, money and effort into making something NEW that's retro inspired, rather than just a repro of something older. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, but I would love to give my money to a well thought-out, nicely marketed and packaged, good quality CNC component company. There's 30 years of rerfefrence to draw from and an audience who I think would be into it. I personally wouldn't mind a newer company that made smaller components that gave me the same feel as the older companies; not that I'm suggesting that's necessarily easy to do.

This for me. I don't have any interest in repros of old parts, even if I really like those components, I'd rather see new products that still fit the company's ethos.

I had a similar thought to the OP a few years ago. I think what sparked it was the mental price for PAUL components eg rear mech. I think someone talked me out of it because the market is vanishingly small. I mean let's say you did a faithful repro PAUL derailleur (marked/modified so that it didn't impinge on the original, and was a 'tribute' part). Let's say it was £50, an attractive price for a snazzy CNC'd part.

How many do you think you'd sell? I mean, I *might* buy one. If I was feeling flush. I think if you did a production run of 25 you'd be accused of being optimistic.

Here's an interesting example. I bought these [silver] Tektro cantis because a) they were cheap and b) they reminded me of Grafton Speed Controllers. Tektro has obviously made thousands and they're now a bargain basement part that bike shops can't shift. They cost me £25 for a full bike set.

Compare to the grey ones which are 'proper' Grafton magnesium brakes, being sold for £150 or so for one set. (I don't pretend to back any claim they are worth £150, merely pointing out that's the asking price as of today). Screenshot_20210526-154827.png Screenshot_20210526-154726.png

Not really repro, but I have been wondering what quantity we'd have to order for Shimano to do another run of the M730-735 groupset. Perhaps with some minor improvements (the overly soft cups and cones of the hubs come to mind).

Hell, they can put "classic" logos on there for all I care, Like Panaracer did with the Smoke and Dart re-runs.

Lets be honest none of us are getting any younger and as stated above the market is ‘vanishingly small’ I cant see it being a commercially viable proposition unless its priced pretty high like Grafton. There are companies making a good living making repro parts for classic cars though. Personally I love the Paul Component stuff thats still available and think its worth the money. It will last a lifetime, it works well and looks beautiful on a bike.

Back