Is the price of parts putting you off?

I’ve recently joined this card game - I love it - I’ve bought 3 different frames now in all manner of states - and still haven’t a clue what I’m doing if I’m honest but I’m loving just getting a good solid bike ( steel 90s backwards etc) and something that rides much better than modern stuff up and running. I obviously don’t know the history of price changes. This forum has definitely helped me keep trying when I normally would have given up after I cross threaded the derailleur hanger and didn’t even know how to remove a crank set !! The knowledge on here is worth more than the parts you buy 🙏🎅

selling stuff at prices that help people fuel their hobby, only to find them up for sale elsewhere very quickly for way way more. This gets my goat as it puts me off selling on here
Very much with you there! I now try to answer the " wanted ads" first too, as imho, part of being in a community is to try to help the group out.

However, before we get blacklisted by every scrapper and covert trader here, i would also like to point out that once its theirs, its up to them what they do with it, BUT, it makes me want to ask for more when I sell, as the greedy, antisocial part of me say "hey, why are you losing out".

Its just not cricket old chap.

I do not dare adding the amount of monies up spent on my retrobike addiction during this past 10 years or so, mainly to preserve the leftovers of my sanity. Some stuff were bargains, some are overpriced junk still, but they all share a common theme: they were readily available at the time & I wanted them for some reason. Built loads of bikes up from scratch, bought and sold 50+ MTBs, been there, done that, there's core memory already to remember with wide smiles.

This is my main hobby after all and if ever I try to save (unreasonably) cost on it, complaining about the market prices, then it's time to lock the fck up & die. It's not worth to lament about the silly prices, lack of choiches, greedy flippers, etc.-either you adapt to the situation or try waiting for the end of the hype. The next best thing: invest more in your hobby's budget. If you are on the retro scene for 10+ years, you shouldn't be suprised now. If not, well, see above. I'm also envious of NOS M900 XTR prices of 2006, but hey, back then I didn't even know what NOS meant, let alone retrobiking:D!

Last edited:
No, I’m not put off by the price of parts at the moment. We’ve had these discussions for the last ten years at least, see the Ebay Madness thread. And yes, I agree with others that retrobiking is still a very affordable hobby. Try new bikes for a change. Or any motorised sport.

Also, parts prices going up means the value of our existing (hoarded?) stock goes up. It is a double edged sword. The existence of pro sellers just show our community is thriving. Just deal with it, there is plenty of supply.

Lets not forget ebay fees have shot up to like 13% - they used to be much lower.

I just buy entire bikes for a single component these days.

Diacompe ss5s for £25? Nah I'll buy an entire bike for £80 off facebook and end up quids in after a bit of boxing and taping.

Lets not forget ebay fees have shot up to like 13% - they used to be much lower.

I just buy entire bikes for a single component these days.

Diacompe ss5s for £25? Nah I'll buy an entire bike for £80 off facebook and end up quids in after a bit of boxing and taping.
You, the rotten pest of this community, shame on you, yes, you!!! ;)

Not sure how, I buy locally away from here, always pay the asking and will list parts on here cheaper when my cupboard overflows before listing on eBay.

I used to drive a ropey Porsche 911, now there is no way I could afford to even buy an old 911 never mind run it.

Old nine-elevens are surely better investments than most things-bet you loved yours even in its used state.

Latest posts

Back