Is the price of parts putting you off?

If we consider retro MTBs versus some other markets I am into, I don’t think it’s too bad. Look at classic cars and price movements there over the last decade or so.. More recently vintage watches. Forget about anything approaching value for money, no matter how hard you hunt.

We are fortunate that we have, and retain, a thoroughly niche hobby. One with high barriers to entry, from a knowledge if not financial, perspective. Whilst prices may increase with time here, as interest grows or supply diminishes.. the hobby will never have mass market appeal. Hence price growth is probably capped.

I know some members reference supposed hipsters as a driver of higher prices, but I don’t see it - and I spend a lot of time in Hackney, Dalston etc. I don’t see dudes with big beards and sleeve tattoos debating the merits of a Yo versus a DB at the local coffee shop, nor decorating their single speed with Grafton.

I would say that eventually pricing will increase at the extent and speed that we ride our parts into the ground, on one hand.. and will decrease at the extent to which older members die out (sorry) and their wives dump their collections onto the Bay. Somewhere in the midst of this we will hit a clearing price.
In france I haven’t seen the classic « hipster » buying retro mtb parts, rather younger people who already practise the sport and enjoy the older cool looking mtb’s simply because 90’s stuff has bling and character. The UK market just like the German one has more buyers willing to shell out. Another noticeable shift has also been the availability of bikes. I used to see loads of 50’s, 60s, 70s etc town, race bikes being used by students for example. They all have 26 inch Mtbs now as the older stuff has likely ended in the tip. When parts need to be replaced, some likely want to restore using period correct parts.

As for prices, if your patient you end up getting what you want at a reasonable price - If you price too high nobody buys. Retrobiking is super cheap like mentioned compared to other hobbies. I’m riding a Sunn right now, well kitted out. The most expensive thing was the Egs levers that cost me 160euros (nobody will sell you those for 50p), in total 400ish euros spent. I didn’t spec to original and thats the reason it cost me so little. I would never spend excessive amounts on syncros stems and seat tubes because you can have the same thing for a lot less with little difference. My advice for cheap entertainment- Buy complete bikes, buy ahead of time and stock up when the price is good, never be picky

This price increase is far reaching. Mr. Transmission just returned my buddies truck tranny without rebuilding it. Parts are now so expensive that it’s cheaper to get a remanufactured one from the factory than have a shop rebuild it. This is the first time this has occurred at Mr. Transmission. He’s worried about the future of his business.

The original OP is right. It turns to a different hobby when it turns from building nice usable things from the junkyard to competing on ebay w/ crypto coin loaded collectors for vintage fetishes. I have been riding 26in steel MTBs since 1991 and from 2004 on it´s been rigid forks. I am more concerned right now w/ the difficulty in finding good rubber, 5 bolt crank rings and 26in rim brake rims.

Flip side is the retro stuff is still cheaper than modern stuff

And at least you can find it for sale too!

Try and buy a 12 speed slx microspline cassette for under £80 used or new

Having considered the collective wisdom of the group, I've realised that to gain the bits at the price i can afford there are 2 options

1. Buy old bits and clean them up.....well i already do that..

2. It may be possible by spending many hours hunched over ebay/ friendface/ grinder- tree whatever......

However No2, i feel, is a serious waste of time, with very hit / miss benefits. "Screen time" as i believe its called is not something i get anything out of (this is probably the only exception) and as such the idea of spending hours trawling for parts and miss spoolings to save £10 on a component is just not an option for me.

So, Im going to ask my old boss if i can go back to work 1 day a week! 8 hours work to get 10 times the financial advantage i would get from 8 hours of trawling! Plus i get my workshop privileges back without feeling like I'm sponging ( not that they dont get their moneys worth every time i pop in!). Anyway I digress.

Back to my original question at the top^. Is it putting me off? Well yes, in a way, even if its not putting me off, its making me think twice about taking on projects or the direction i take. This limitation is quite depressing....don't get me wrong, im not after top end stuff, i just want to stay where i am and am comfortably happy.

I think the argument made by some that essentially you just have to "suck it up" is a little harsh (whilst true), especially on those with lower /less disposable / fixed incomes. Whilst that is in fact "life", when it effects a genuinely enjoyable, longterm outlet or hobby, its a bit of a blow. Sometimes we forget the advantages of group membership and how much that contact can mean to some.

All I ask is next time you shove an item up for sale on the forum, just ask yourself " how much does this really owe me", be nice, make somebody's day and bask in the good karma.

Normally, I don't post in threads bitching about pricing. It's the law of the jungle, supply and demand and all that.

However, how you framed the OP is very thought provoking. Well done to you for that, it got my two brain cells rubbing together.

When I see you framed it all down to only two options, I think you have missed some tricks.

- NIB the moment it is out of the box, and installed it is roughly -30% the original price.
- A complete bike is never worth the sum of it's parts. For this to be untrue, we are talking something absolutely and historically extraordinary; which you don't appear to be in the game for.
- The bike industry is a fashion industry. Waves, re-inventions, nostalgia, new, exciting, been, has been, new fangled, bees knees, etc. etc.

The two options you state above to "survive" in the price whacko game don't take the above into account. The way this hobby pays for itself is splitting and flipping. I saw posts above against all this, but the bottom line is if you want that RD, you buy a complete bike with it, then flip the rest. You will end up with the RD for nothing, a spare BB possibly, a frame to piss about with and try for knowledge reasons, and if you did it right a little profit selling what you don't want by refurbing cleaning bits to extend your hobby either sideways (buy more equal value tat) or vertically up (higher end exotica for that Paul Rasta mech) or pay for a new fridge that broke last week (trade the XT FD in for LX FD which would do fine for your daily rider with no noticeable differance).

Many projects here are all about investment and the long waiting game. As mentioned about "hoarders" even though they don't know what it is for, it is exactly the right approach. Parts die and wear (except for that Paul Rasta rear mech which just changes hands and sits in a glass cabinet or next to the coffee table read (it certainly does not get thrashed)) and anyone with any sense does have an attic of bits waiting for that frame to come along. Those who have the frame but not the bits will be forced to sell the frame at some point, and those with the bits in the attic waiting will have a magnificent build at a good price.

Going to Ebay to buy parts is a money pit, but with some thought and investment, it can be turned around completely where you are not on the shafted end of the equation. All that said, it's good you are contributing with thought provoking questions and are also willing to invest in time for refurbishments which takes skill and practice. That alone, I can't see how you could feel a bit depressed, and dare I say, a looser in this hobby, most people want click to buy immediate gratification and only get satisfaction from purchasing.

Perhaps time you set a different level of a project? One that uses your skills (and kinder on the environment) and not your bank account or bike economy thinking?

Anyhow, peeps, all the best for 2022! I'm going to fully rat arsed in a moment!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Before Covid and the supply chain broke down prices in german web shops run by investment companies like bike24 were insanely low and their offers countless. When you can get a new boxed XT 10-Speed RD for 60 € why spend 40 for a used 7-Speed, maybe the seller didn’t tell you the whole truth about?

Don’t look for used 9-Speed parts, they are even more expensive. And if you really want to burn money, buy parts from non-indexed times. That’s prewar for most people.
:)

Latest posts

Back