Is the price of parts putting you off?

You know what.....that's the problem.....i need to stop writing this stuff down!

If didn't write it down theres no chance i would remember!

Thanks guys, once again the forum triumphs! I just need to delete all my spreadsheets! In 2 weeks, although i still won't to be able to afford any of the kit, i won't be pissed off about it! 🤪 :LOL:

Last edited:
Ah ok on reference to Judys.

It’s quite easy to get a pair for £60-70 still. It’s also very easy to sell a pair for £200. Some people are happy to spend time hunting around and some like to flick eBay on and have them arrive the next day. This forum tends to be the first type I find.
yeah, that was the expensive over the odds price though :) and not even an SL set of forks iirc.

The tidy Judy SL (of 97 and 98 era, where more hang on £42 (£51 now) for the 1997 and I'm still using them now) the 1998, fresh seals and serviced was similar or possibly a bit less at the same time, might check. but I may not have a record of that.

ebay shows £100 odd for these 1997's and other than one set (antz), generally of unknown quality inside.
ok so ebay fees and shipping is (no idea on say £100 sale ?)

But the question was asked in the title. :) if price of parts putting me off.

and also that's not general inflation.

A few here will remember the great STX bubble

In 2010, STX mechs were being sold at seemingly ridiculous prices compared to what they were actually 'worth' (obviously other kit was sky high too)

The Retro thing was at its height with rides and meetups absolutely packed

Then it all waned very quickly, the bubble went in a sort of post sunday dinner at Aunt Janes suppressed fart

Xtr m900 cantilevers ( perfect inc original blocks) £40.00
how much, I have a few sets now.
in my list I have an BR-M900 setup incl blocks, straddles.. (I gave it my description of 'brill') AND a very long hard to find MAG21 SL steerer for £30 for both...
:) :LOL:

A few here will remember the great STX bubble

In 2010, STX mechs were being sold at seemingly ridiculous prices compared to what they were actually 'worth' (obviously other kit was sky high too)

The Retro thing was at its height with rides and meetups absolutely packed

Then it all waned very quickly, the bubble went in a sort of post sunday dinner at Aunt Janes suppressed fart
I'm still waiting for drystonepaul's 200GS bubble to happen.

Second hand parts dont really fall under general inflation rules though do they? i would think desirability and fashion etc were more its driving force. If anything, as desirable becomes less available prices will rise, surely? houses, cars etc all do. And i also think community is a good thing, but prices in a community do not necessarily stay in line with those in the outside world.

I can cherry pick prices I’ve paid for items to show it the opposite way.

If we doing it fairly it’s market values on the same platform. Ie eBay. Then adjust for inflation over the year.
Second hand parts dont really fall under general inflation rules though do they? i would think desirability and fashion etc were more its driving force. If anything, as desirable becomes less available prices will rise, surely? houses, cars etc all do. And i also think community is a good thing, but prices in a community do not necessarily stay in line with those in the outside world.
To be honest I’m going to sound like tin foil hatter but I don’t believe the BOE inflation numbers but that’s a different topic.

You’ve probably put it better than me but yes I agree.

Take a £20 item in 2013 , adjust for inflation and nothing else and it won’t be far off that price now. Maybe a couple of quid extra but we aren’t taking big amounts. It’s still the cheapest hobby to have.

Back