Is the price of parts putting you off?

Yes, absolutely. I was thinking about this recently. The main problem is that some of my builds have dragged on a very long time as I look for parts which are just right for them, but now I'm stuck with unfinished bikes which I can't ride because they are missing one or a few parts which have only come up at far higher prices than I have been willing to pay.

For example, I paid $30 shipped for the NOS Tioga seatpost on my GT Corrado - however, I moved all the parts to my GT Richter 8.0 frame which needs a different size and in a couple of years of looking I dodn't think I've found one that's correct for less than $100 + postage from the USA, and that has been for taaty well-used ones.

I can cherry pick prices I’ve paid for items to show it the opposite wa

I dont know if thats pointed in my direction, but I haven't cherry picked anything.....its just a list of stuff i bought to finish a project where i had most of the bits in boxes.

All were ebay purchases as i was not on here then.....sadly.

I agree however, that this has nothing to do with fiscal inflation.....its all the other stuff in the world, so putting an inflation figure on it really has no real relevance...hence its less than £20 more, when the reality i expect would be £100 minimum on that list.....on a good day.

The fact is stuffs more expensive...ive got no issue with the mechanics or whys, its just the impact on my recreation of choice.

I would love to have a pocket which allowed me to pay the current prices, but i dont.

Maybe i should have gone i to I.T. rather than engineering......oh well....bit late now.:LOL:

Getting back to the original question; Is the price of parts putting me off?
Two answers;
A. Not from retro stuff, I think they are mostly still value for money. They may well be dearer than when they were less in demand or more plentiful but that’s not rocket science is it?
B. Yes from modern stuff. Having just built my first modern bike with predominantly used or 2nd hand new parts I’d say it was a real eye opener and something I can’t imagine doing again, the price paid doesn’t seem (IMO) to get anywhere near the quality of older stuff and modern geometry 29” frames are the best example of the Emperors New Clothes that I’ve ever wasted my money on.

And just to prove my point.....

Ive just had an Ebay order cancelled for brakes, which i was under the impression were "for parts".....obviously because i didn't pay enough for them in the auction..

Reason.....parts missing.

Sure they will reappear....:oops:

Ok.. lets back the bus up.....somebody wanted some rear world prices from a confirmed date.....as a sad git who's ocd means he has to keep track of everything....

All from 2018.... all prices posted to me.

1" ritchey force lite stem £13.40
Forcelite bars silver ( very good) £10.87.
Suntour xc pro brake levers champagne ( perfect) £32.20
Xtr m900 cantilevers ( perfect inc original blocks) £40.00
Pair mavic ma40 26" rims nos. £60
97 titanium flite £25
Hg70 12 /28 cassette nos £10.62
Deore xt m732 rear mech ( excellent no marks) £16.70

Those items come to £208.79 in 2018.

Using bank of england calculator £217.36 in 2021.

Anybody who can get me that list for that money, please let me know, cash waiting.
Just going off of prices I can remember seeing lately

1" Force light if you can find one 18-25gbp
Forcelight bars 15-20gbp
XC pro brake levers 40+
XTR cantis rough 45, perfect 65+
NOS MA40 100
97 filte 50
NOS HG 70 cassette 25-30
M732 rear mech excellent 30+

= 349ish GBP

Thats not just inflation...

Few years back I struggled to sell a pair of nice Real brake levers for 65gbp... Look for a pair now...

the price paid doesn’t seem (IMO) to get anywhere near the quality of older stuff and modern geometry 29” frames are the best example of the Emperors New Clothes that I’ve ever wasted my money on.
I totally agree from an engineering/ material quality point.....cheesy chinesium alloy anybody. Chainrings that do 400 miles before wasting away like a chocolate fire guard.....flimsy mech, barely able to hold its own weight let alone a chain straight......yes yes old chestnut and lets not go there.

As for the 29er.....im really sorry for you, i know you put some serious effort into it and it looked brill.:(

Getting back to the original question; Is the price of parts putting me off?
Two answers;
A. Not from retro stuff, I think they are mostly still value for money. They may well be dearer than when they were less in demand or more plentiful but that’s not rocket science is it?
B. Yes from modern stuff. Having just built my first modern bike with predominantly used or 2nd hand new parts I’d say it was a real eye opener and something I can’t imagine doing again, the price paid doesn’t seem (IMO) to get anywhere near the quality of older stuff and modern geometry 29” frames are the best example of the Emperors New Clothes that I’ve ever wasted my money on.
Also to answer the question, yes it is, being on a tight budget I now have to really think about what I purchase. I am definately not going to drop 600 quid on a pair of brakes that were sub 300 a few years back... But that said there are still some bargains to be had if you are patient...

Stuff has got more expensive, but it is what it is, if I want something and the money is available then I'll buy it, if I haven't got the money then I won't. Inevitably that same part will turn up in better condition for half the price the week after as well!
I used to change my modern bike regularly, but the prices of the higher end bits I tend to like have gone mental, so it's stayed the same for a few years now.
Retro stuff is still loads cheaper.
A pair of jeans that were £40 a few years ago are now £90, if that's what you want then you pay, again, it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back