Is the price of parts putting you off?

I used to get no end of stuff from the tip, it was so cheap and plentiful

Non existent health and safety rools have put an end to that but I had a good ten years of supply

Carboot sales were a good source but rare for good kit although there was that NOS boxed XTR rear mech

Recently just spending hours of watching the rain fall and ebay has got me some very useful kit to keep the bikes going without having to spend exorbitant prices via poor listings or pick up only

That same staring at ebay whilst the missus watches the Property Brothers has also unmasked some of the flippers and strippers. Not that their prices are always higher or their motives questionable, but some can be an eyebrow raiser and are clearly out to bend the generosity of the RB collective.

No, the prices are not putting me off. I have thought for a long time that retro parts are on a whole under priced for what they are, some still assume old to mean no longer good.

Of course with parts getting rarer and the demand still there by some then the prices will naturally rise, and some will always demand higher prices than others, but, i bet for example, that when every fork is long sold and someone is desperate for one, they will pay gg prices. I myself need a couple of rare parts, they fetched good money anyway but i imagine they will be a bit dearer now, will it stop me buying them? no, because i desire them and need them to complete a build and the reason and result will far outweigh the cost, for me at least.

I think a major factor is that those new to the game will just think that the prices are the prices. Those who have been around a time will have seen more reasonable pricing, and will hope to return to it. There has been some frankly insane pricing around - but people with money to spare are happy to spend it.

Inflation is one thing, but when run of the mill stuff that you'd happily give away five or ten years ago is being sold for amounts that make it worth bothering to sell, then thats different.

I've never been into the proper silly high end stuff, so no worries there for me. There are people on here who must spend thousands on their bikes and have garages full of tens of thousands of pounds of builds. Regularly we see BOTM entries that must have cost four figures to put together - and to those people the extra cost just can't be an issue. Horses for courses. I'd rather spend my money on cars, and keep the bikes as a hobby.

I do however enjoy hunting out a bargain as much as the next person.

That same staring at ebay whilst the missus watches the Property Brothers has also unmasked some of the flippers and strippers
Its one of the reasons i go through the "wanted" section if I've got kit to sell.....hopefully it goes to somebody who needs it that way.

There has been some frankly insane pricing around - but people with money to spare are happy to spend it.
Thats also an issue i think....people with money burning a big hole in their pockets and having a year or so with nothing to spend it on.

I think that generally, ignoring the chancers, even high end retro parts whilst they've gone up quite a bit over the last few years are still pretty good value vs some of the insane prices for mass produced in a sweat shop modern stuff. On the road side you can easily spend £1k on bars, stem and post now, and people must be or they wouldn't offer them. Frames prices are going up partly as people realise that despite the industry pretending otherwise they are gravel geometry and retro gravel seems a bit trendy too.

Yeah, the person asking if people understood inflation apparently doesn't understand it himself!

Its certainly a " perfect storm", but reasons aside, is anybody else's conscience starting to prick when they press that " buy" button?

I think the technical term is " buyers remorse "

I think that generally, ignoring the chancers, even high end retro parts whilst they've gone up quite a bit over the last few years are still pretty good value vs some of the insane prices for mass produced in a sweat shop modern stuff. On the road side you can easily spend £1k on bars, stem and post now, and people must be or they wouldn't offer them. Frames prices are going up partly as people realise that despite the industry pretending otherwise they are gravel geometry and retro gravel seems a bit trendy too.

Yeah, the person asking if people understood inflation apparently doesn't understand it himself!

You think I don’t understand inflation?

why choose 2013 and £55 out of interest?

Let’s do it on a part? Let’s say a XT rear mech? Run of the mill item. Pick a model? And pick a year which you know a price you paid for one? And then compare that to today.
My post above...

My post above...
Ah ok on reference to Judys.

It’s quite easy to get a pair for £60-70 still. It’s also very easy to sell a pair for £200. Some people are happy to spend time hunting around and some like to flick eBay on and have them arrive the next day. This forum tends to be the first type I find.

Ok.. lets back the bus up.....somebody wanted some rear world prices from a confirmed date.....as a sad git who's ocd means he has to keep track of everything....

All from 2018.... all prices posted to me.

1" ritchey force lite stem £13.40
Forcelite bars silver ( very good) £10.87.
Suntour xc pro brake levers champagne ( perfect) £32.20
Xtr m900 cantilevers ( perfect inc original blocks) £40.00
Pair mavic ma40 26" rims nos. £60
97 titanium flite £25
Hg70 12 /28 cassette nos £10.62
Deore xt m732 rear mech ( excellent no marks) £16.70

Those items come to £208.79 in 2018.

Using bank of england calculator £217.36 in 2021.

Anybody who can get me that list for that money, please let me know, cash waiting.

Latest posts

Back