Is it a sign, First ride, first crash in years

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
As title. Needed to post something so thought I'd take my newly completed pinnacle iroko 4 for a ride.

It was getting dark, so thought it would be a quick test ride and I'd make it before the shop shut (which I did).

I pootled through the psrk, testing gears and brakes. Gears good, front brake a little spongy. Everything else was right, saddle could have been a smidge higher, so feeling pretty good.

Went to roll off a kerb, didn't notice a huge dip which stopped the bike briefly before launching it up and over.

I ended up sliding into a road on my right side, still clutching the bars.

Got up, dusted myself down and styled it out. Not really, but not that impressed by the car that just drove round me without a hint of sympathy.

Checked the bike out, seemed fine. Glad I fitted some used hope end plugs, which took the brunt but still looked as good/bad as they did before the crash. Only other damage was a scuff to my pedals (wish I'd fitted the rattler looking set now, but again, not too much cosmetic damage to worry about).

All in all, aside from pride, sore hand and some cosmetic annoyance, the bike and i survived.

Not sure what to make of it though as it really is my first off in around 5 years, and with it being my latest build, and first foray into 27.5 and 1x, wondering if it is a sign that this bike is going to be trouble, or the fact that very little happened in reality is a good omen.

Pic below.

If I survive crash free on the next ride, I'll feel better I'm sure, but confidence dented on such a pedestrian ride.

Attachments

• PSX_20210409_000131.jpg
    PSX_20210409_000131.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 45
No better than a crash to remind you that you're an human with flesh and bones... 😄 . My last one result as approximately 25 stitch on my shin... ;). Nice to hear that you're ready to get back in the saddle !!! 👍

I bunny hopped a kerb the other day. Felt like Rob Warner. Shoulders hurt, hips hurt, felt stiff as a board. This last years got me feeling my age for sure. Hopefully when the gyms re-open I can get back in shape.

Riding is the best training for riding, a little bit cheaper than a gym membership too i should imagine :)

Thing is I've dome weight training for years and having not done it for the best part of 12 months my shoulders and hips have seized up. I tried using bands and dumbells at home but lost my motivation, its just not the same. Im sure when I get back in the gym and see all my old gym buddies I'll get back in the swing of it.

To be honest up until last summer I hadn't done any riding for about 10 years. Didn't do much over winter and have only just started gong out on the bike again since the weathers picked up.

Doesn't feel too small, in fact when next to my larger frame 29er, there is barely any difference at all anywhere aside from where the top tube hits the seat tube.

I blame exuberance as it was my first rude out in a very long time, should have taken it a bit easier.

On a positive note, the huge bars and pedals make a great safety cell for the rear mech. Didn't even touch the ground.

Too much attention on the bike and not on the ride maybe? A bit distracted and made a mistake- not unusual. Bike survived, so did you, all good.

Back