Wanted Interesting but tatty frame for project

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A long time ago, I had a plan to have my kids do some 'art' on a frame. The idea was to paint a frame white, let them loose on it, then lacquer and build it as a one off. A bit of fun, but ultimately ending up with a nice bike.

I'd like it to be a decent frame but I guess the kicker is I don't want to spend much on it as I'll be putting money into the repaint and materials they will need to make their mark.

It's a blank canvas frame wise, open to anything at this point as I'm not sure what will float my boat or for my budget.

It will need to be around the 19 inch mark, could be retro, though not exclusively. V brake or disc. Wheel size not an issue, I have various 26 and 29er wheels and forks.

E-stsy? Standard hard tail, I'd consider full suspension too, anything considered as long as it's not in need of repair.

Haven't thought about what I'd need to allow them to paint on it, so open to thoughts on this as well as a frame.

Hot me with options please.

I may have just answered my own post, as I have a GT RTS USA built frame that I've had converted to disc sitting idle waiting to be built. I could use that but maybe something interesting will be offered up that I want to build more?

I have a 19'' (C to T) 1990 muddy Fox Courier Mega frame set that you can have if you want it, the frame (Tange Mega Infinity Cr-Mo) is in great condition overall, there's rust, but it seems to be fairly light and surface only, I was able to rub most of it away with no real effort and the metal beneath wasn't pitted at all. Beyond that it's fine, no damage, no dents, it had one very careful lady owner so although it has been somewhat neglected it's never been abused, it just needs a new paint job.

There are some pics here

It comes with original forks, stem and handlebars, I'll throw in a few other bits like the BB and headset too. I just have too many projects and not enough space, this one kind of slipped onto the back burner and looks destined to remain there, you'll be doing me a favour if you take it off my hands and it would be nice to see it go towards an interesting project like this.

It's yours for the price of postage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

The muddy fox is tempting but I think it deserves a sympathetic rest rather than a repaint.

The Marin doesn't float my boat I'm afraid, though the swing arm is a big canvas.

I've got a very scruffy 1991 Stumpjumper with a stuck seatpost. I was karma'd it on here and have done nothing with it apart from squirting some plusgas on the seatpost. Wouldn't mind passing on the karma on if you fancy it...

Alternatively I've been thinking about robbing this for a few parts - once I've done that I'd be happy to karma on the frame.

Or... another that came as karma from here, not scruffy, but not too precious I don't think.

I'd actually really like @Tsundere 's Muddy fox. I won't ask him about it unless either of you want any of the above - needs to be one in/one out I think, and I'm already feeling as if I've been a bit greedy on the karma!

Rear u-brake and cantis up front a bit old for you Ian?

Back