Indexed Shifting Help.

Those 300ex mechs have the extra lever which shifts first before the rest of deraileur follows. If the pivots are felched, it wont help.

Further more, make sure the cable is clamped in the right place. The wrong position will throw the shift per cable pull out.

Re:

^ This.

You can also check that the top jockey wheel is floating too.

Thanks guys,I did in fact change the cable anchor position slightly last night I routed the cable around a small nub taking the slightly longer route to the clamp than the design appears to dictate.

The result was the mech indexed smoothly up and down the cassette in the small ring,but in the big ring only the first 4 cogs were smooth!

Put it in second cassette cog from top

look from behind

adjust cable tension until mech and jockey wheels are directly aligned with the second cog

it should then index perfectly

repeat on larger front ring

make sure you have a floating top jockey

This is a 9spd cassette and chain on a triple using a similar mech to yours with the extra lever and it shifts perfectly

file.php

Thanks,tried what you suggested and the best I get is full indexing on the small front ring and all but the biggest cog on the front big ring,which is a gear I am unlikely to ever use,so success of a sort.

I do think,however that the way I have clamped the rear mech cable has just compensated for a fault elsewhere...

I'll probably end up with a 7 speed 105 rear mech and shifter just out of curiosity if nothing else!lol

Back