Indecision . Do I buy it.

Finally got aii the measurements from Jim the chap who owns the gate and it is not going to happen.The 23 1/2 " height is fine. O.K. the top tube would be snug but not a problem.The 23" c-c top tube however will be.One of my bikes has a 22" c-c top tube and I am having to run that with a 90mm stem and the saddle pushed forward on an inline post.Artheritus in the neck im afraid.I had considered moving the frame on last year but gave it a stay of execution to see how I go this year.23" is just going to be more pain after every ride and I was going to buy this to ride.Had thought short wheelbase would result in shortish top tube but seems not. So. The measurements are.23 1/2 from b/b centre to top of top tube.This is a vertical measurement and follows the vertical tube that finishes below the top tube. If there was a normal sloping seat tube you would need to add about another 1/2" on.The top tube is 23" from centre of head tube to the top centre of the short tube that carries the seat post.I told Jim that there were more people interested.He is an elderly chap so you wont be getting any photos and he does not have a computer so no e mails.He lives in the area around Burton on Trent and you will need to collect it from him so no postage. I have his phone number but told him I would not publish it online or his full name.If you want to buy it then pm me your name and phone number and I will ring it in to him. He will get in touch with you himself. He has agreed to let me know when it has gone and I will mark the listing as sold for him.Not being awkward. Simply doing what I can to help a very decent chap
Hi half cog, I'd be interested in this if it was still available,
Thanks.

If you buy a TJ flying gate for £200 and drop another £150 - £200 on respray/restoration by either Argos, Ellis Briggs or Mercian cycles, you'll still make profit by selling it on. Don't have to ride it yourself.

Hi.
I have just been on to Jim and he still has it.If you send me contact details ( phone number via pm )) I will hand it on to him and you can make your own arrangements.Am doing it this way as it gives him control of the situation and I promised not to publish his phone number ( he is an eldely chap and does not do the internet. )I have no interest in this and have not seen the frame. Just trying to give the man a hand
Regards
Peter

To the point that the back end is chopped up but it is a totally different reshaping. Google flying gate and you will see one.Willie Baines called it the whirlwind but everyone else called it the flying gate and in the end that is what it became known as.The decals on my ecolite have baines whirlwind on them.He is said to have disliked the flying gate name but in the end was stuck with it

Hi.
I have just been on to Jim and he still has it.If you send me contact details ( phone number via pm )) I will hand it on to him and you can make your own arrangements.Am doing it this way as it gives him control of the situation and I promised not to publish his phone number ( he is an eldely chap and does not do the internet. )I have no interest in this and have not seen the frame. Just trying to give the man a hand
Regards
Peter
Brilliant, I thought I was being stupid but ive realised I can't send PM until ive done 30 posts...err...

I have it! Well, it's at my parents in Birmingham and im in Ireland but im the proud owner! It's a full touring rig, looks like 24" ctt effective seat tube, perfect!

Has braze ons for cantilevers which is great but I really want hydraulic as I live in a valley so it's bloody hilly and I have my boy on a tagalong on the back. Magura look good but seems like no obtainable road levers...

Frame has no tubing sticker but ive emailed trevor to see does he have any information. Thanks everyone! IMG-20210605-WA0062.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210606-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210606-WA0008.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20210606-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210606-WA0007.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20210606-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210606-WA0004.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9
Pleased to see this frame has found a new home .Looking forward to seeing it built up .
Keep us posted Mike.

You may be able to fit v brakes if you need more power and you can get v brake drop bar levers. Having said that the front fork may have too narrow a gap to take them so check before spending.I am in the yorkshire dales and surrounded by cat 1 climbs that we have to descend on our tandem and its on cantis. What I have done is fit a rear brake on the reverse side of the seat stays . It is operated by an indexed suntour command shifter on the bars.A thumb shifter or a barcon will probably do the same job as long as it is 7 speed or more with a good strong indexing.On very steep ground I simply apply the third brake as a drag brake. I can negotiate around one in ten without using the main brakes to give you some idea of the sort of power it produces.Also fit longer soft blocks that give better braking power.If you are going to have this re sprayed you could have the extra cable stops added then.I cant say maguras would look good on this. Not that sort of bike

Back