Important early British built MTBs

Re. Biopace - Andy Powell told me last week that my 1984 spec Andy Powell/Overbury's came with Biopace originally - I was surprised by that and remain to be thoroughly convinced! The early UK ATB/MTB scene is still a sketchily documented one, is it not...?!

Mr K

hoegaardenadds1":23vu5487 said:
i just bought that hudson :D :LOL: :LOL:
£25 on a buy it now. . . bargain ;)

I was chewing it over for a while but the missus had the last word (and it wasn't yes )...

mrkawasaki":2kn6vzed said:
Re. Biopace - Andy Powell told me last week that my 1984 spec Andy Powell/Overbury's came with Biopace originally - I was surprised by that and remain to be thoroughly convinced! The early UK ATB/MTB scene is still a sketchily documented one, is it not...?!

Mr K

Indeed:

SNAP :shock: The earliest Biopace picture I can find is in fact a picture of an F.W. Evans "Conquest" fitted with Biopace on the inside of the front cover of Bicycle Action of June 1985. The picture also shows the large flange hubs, 531, Saracen Badges and Brooks sprung saddle. It appears that only the mud guards have been added.

However the bike is, at earliest from 1985. This is Because the Conquest referred to was the January 1st 1985 Crane cousins ascent of Kilimanjaro in Kenya. My Guess is that these bikes would have first appeared in the F.W. Evans' shops in the spring of 85.

As to the Hudson, yes, it's as British as roast beef and yorkshire puddings. This one doesn't look 50 years old, with its 70s saddle and continental spoking, but it is nice and pretty much identical to bikes they were producing 30 years earlier.[/quote]

yep 1972 according to the sa hub

If you must :LOL:

Im rather taken by this one and rode 40 miles on it weekend before last, Anyone at mayhem next month will see it going round ;)

More here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96189/

022.jpg

have a pic of mine again in its 'just one gear as the cassettes knackard' pose:

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 448
Just been grinding bits off of my mystery 531 frame :oops:

Waiting on decals then off to Bob Jacksons - just don't tell the wife :oops:

Back