Identify this Marin..please!

Angus4188

Retro Newbie
Hi All

New to the forum, but have been enjoying following the posts for some time.

I've recently picked up this Marin, and drawing a blank trying to identify it. The sloping top tube is what's stumping me. Can't see what it can be..

Frame number looks like M3 0 IE 0020 but is very hard to read! Decals are definitely new add ons.

any help appreciated.

cheers
Angus

Looks like M30... to me which would be a Pine Mountain from 1990

M74HAB182

The M is the factory.

M is Marvel, F is Fairly and T is Ti sports

7 is the model number. Exclude the Ti bikes and work down the list eg.

1 Team Issue
2 Team Marin
3 Pine Mountain
4 Eldridge grade
5 Bear Valley
6 Muirwoods
7 Palisades Trail
8 Bobcat Trail

4 is the year ending number. That would be 1994.

HA is month and date, but you will need the Enigma machine to decode these. Not really relevant either!

Cheers all. So zolatone rear triangle bit can't get the model.... It's a more Kona like geometry top tube. It's a 17" frame if that gives any more of a clue?

Ignore the slope, its a small frame and the forks are lifting the front end up.
It'll be the third 'frame' model from the top at the time, of the steel frames.

The decals are an afterthought. From say 1997, 98, 99.
The toptube may appear sloping as the forks are also not factory and lift the front end up somewhat. Not sure what year those forks are from though.
There is no absolute logic with marin serial numbers as each year there were variants and anomalies.
Have a look at the seatpost size, this can tell you something.

Ah that's a very good point! Thought it would have come with rigids originally, but you're right they're changing the line of the frame!

Ok I'll call it a 1991 Pine mountain. Looks fairly close in terms of the DX bits it has on it and what's listed as the groupset spec in the 91 brochure. Forks look like Quadra to me. Not sure what year..

Back