Hub/Drum Brake Bikes

Interesting commuter bike. I have seen Shimano roller brakes with belt drives before, but not an old-school Sturmey Archer drum.

I like the use of bull-horn handlebars. I have a similar arrangement on my Moulton APB and find it to be very comfortable.
When riding in traffic and built up areas, I find it easier to constantly cover the brakes, than with drop handlebars.

Also, with the hub gears you don't need to go down the gears when approaching traffic lights. Just stop, and back-pedal to move to a lower gear for a quick start. The same applies to using hub-gears off-road, after something forces you to brake unexpectedly.
Agreed re bullhorn set up...I've just built a slightly ghetto roadified MTB with inverted and chopped road bars and it's so comfy! I'm leaving the world of drops....the amount of time I spend down there when in the saddle is negligible 😆 can still make a tuck position tho.its like bar end position but without any clunky clamps discomfort.i guess it looks odd but it sure feels good!

Back