How much seat post is too much seat post?

As others have pointed out... I also run a lot of post with a lots of my bikes, mainly steel, some Ti, some alloy but I weigh in at over 14 stone too. Creaking/cracking noises are usually the plastic shell of the saddle moving around the ends of the seat rails. Some brands are a lot worse for it than others, take post out and clean inside of frame/post and also all around the underside of the saddle, especially where the metal rails go into the saddle shell. Sometimes a wax type lube or something which goes in wet and sets harder such as spray white grease etc in the saddle rail mounts can take away the noise for a while but often it comes back I find. Seatpost just apply a smear of grease, you don't need to go mad otherwise it can make it slip easily.

Ahh the Phoenix look. Gives me the shivers but should be ok if you are 180lbs or less 🤔

Strange, because the post wasn't slipping, but the extra bit of tightening seems to have sorted it for now. Just an extra 180 degrees or so on both the saddle clamp and quick release pin. I guess I must have been too careful not to over-tighten when fitting. 🤷‍♂️ Either that, or the howling wind and belting rain drowned out the noises. :(

Definitely less than 180lbs, BTW.

Thank you for the advice y'all.

Back