How much are your bikes really worth (retro or not)?

How much are your bikes worth?

• Less than 500$

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Between 500 and 750$

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Between 750$ and 1000$

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 1000$ and 2000$

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Between 2000$ and 5000$

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Above 5000$

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My favorite retro bike (my Bontrager) has some nice parts and is lovely to ride, but cost less all in than the fork on my modern bike, I know which one I'd save in a fire :D
I'd struggle to put a replacement value on my retro bikes, definitely worth more as parts than complete, if I sold them complete I would probably lose money on some/gain money on others. I have no intention of selling anything at the moment though so it doesn't really matter what they're worth!

Re:

Most expensive full bike is 475 times more than cheapest so kind of useless average.

d8mok":rmwf6q9w said:
If you are asking what a enthusiast would class as average to spend on a new bike then I think you’ve missed the point entirely by asking how what the average is. The old bikes will pull the new ones value down. Plus older bikes value is so subjective and goes in spikes.
I think you are right. In hindsight I should have placed the poll in the post-'98 subforum, since the heavy bias on retro bikes in this one is distorting the results. I have closed the poll, thanks anyway to all that took their time to answer!

My_Teenage_Self":rmwf6q9w said:
Stay classy, Princess.
Don't play the game if you can't play the game.

My most expensive bike is actually my 24hr time trial bike. The wheel set alone cost more than I paid for my 2016 Yeti SB5C (second hand in 2021).

To be honest I don’t bother considering the of value my retro bikes because I have to have them all shipped which adds hundreds of $s. Shipping my ATX DH from USA to Hong Kong cost more than I paid for my Santa Cruz Super 8.1 - which itself cost less than I’m spending having it repainted.

Between Road and Mountain bikes, new and retro, there’s well into five figures (16 bikes) - but I dont have anywhere to park a car and I don’t need a house deposit so it‘s not really something I think about - I just like looking at / riding them.

Back