How far gone is too far gone? (Yo content).

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all. Some of you will have seen the Yo Eddy I recently won on ebay. Well it's arrived!

So, we knew it had the usual pin pricks in the seat tube but are there any other areas I need to look out for? As can be seen, the paint has a lot of worming and normally this doesn't concern me as plenty of steel frames I've owned have been affected but this is about the worst I've seen. Saying that, it's between the paint and surface so would do well to rust through right?

Plenty of other blemishes but none of it feels soft or flaky so I imagine if it was stripped and sanded it would be okay? My problem is I can't really go digging around for problems as that would mean no returns but I don't necessarily want scrap.

My heart says it's salvageable and should only need a lower seat tube, please reassure me! 😬 20210722_165724.jpg 20210722_165809.jpg 20210722_165820.jpg 20210722_165828.jpg 20210722_165900.jpg

I think part of the issue with the paint is that it's obviously very high quality so maybe that's why the 'worms' look bigger than on cheaper frames/paint?

What were you planning to do? If you were to strip the frame right back you could see for yourself how serious or not the issue really is, I think the paint will absolutely play a part in how any issue manifests itself but the only way to know for sure would be to take a look underneath.

It's still a magnificent frame, worth spending some speculative money on to see what you have on your hands, if the actual frame is barely affected you can repaint with peace of mind. For me if I owned a bike like that I would buy it to keep and to a certain extent cost would be less of a concern for me.

There is a trick I read somewhere....... shake the frame and listen to see if you can hear any noise from loose material inside the tubes, then gently tap the tubes and shake again..... But personally I think you must have a Kamikaze somewhere in your ancestors :eek:

There is a trick I read somewhere....... shake the frame and listen to see if you can hear any noise from loose material inside the tubes, then gently tap the tubes and shake again..... But personally I think you must have a Kamikaze somewhere in your ancestors :eek:
I'll try that. Certainly had rust in frames before! Orange Prestige's are prone.

Kamikaze? Quite possible but it's the only way I'll own an aqua fade yo! 😬 😅

depends how much you want to keep it? Or just return to seller and get a refund? How honest was the sale ad? Only you can say for 100% as you have the frame in front of you. If it just needs a respray then go ahead and spend the £££ needed to restore a wonderful mtb. If me then i'd spend the needed ££££ to restore. But then I have no idea with money. I'd love to have a Yo again.

What were you planning to do? If you were to strip the frame right back you could see for yourself how serious or not the issue really is, I think the paint will absolutely play a part in how any issue manifests itself but the only way to know for sure would be to take a look underneath.

It's still a magnificent frame, worth spending some speculative money on to see what you have on your hands, if the actual frame is barely affected you can repaint with peace of mind. For me if I owned a bike like that I would buy it to keep and to a certain extent cost would be less of a concern for me.

My only real plan was to finally own a Yo!

I guess my only concern atm is that it was sold as usable (with the pin pricks shown) so if I come across anything else obviously terminal I have grounds to return. I can't go digging about though.

I want to keep it as it's a lovely looking frame (from a distance) and just as ace as the aqua fade Yo's I used to dream about as a kid. Short term it's wall art but longer term I want to get the seat tube fixed and have it painted. Happy to pay for one repair but any others would make it uneconomical and by the time I'd find this out it wouldn't even be wall art.

Be right!

depends how much you want to keep it? Or just return to seller and get a refund? How honest was the sale ad? Only you can say for 100% as you have the frame in front of you. If it just needs a respray then go ahead and spend the £££ needed to restore a wonderful mtb. If me then i'd spend the needed ££££ to restore. But then I have no idea with money. I'd love to have a Yo again.
The description was pretty accurate and the damage to the seat tube shown but it was described as usable so obviously if it's about to snap in half it's not accurate!

As long as it's tatty but solid it'll be getting sorted.😁

Actually, looking back at the ad there were plenty of pictures of the condition so unless anything really jumps out when I have a really good look I'll be keeping.😜

Back