Hope refunding price difference on their HB.160

From what I read the Hope cranks, BB and rear hub are bespoke so they can ask any price they like 'cos they made it.

Re:

Sure, I appreciate that.

So assume a substitution for those items with the top end equivalent 'standard' Hope items.

What would a guide cost be for all the kit on the bike, bar the frame...?

For me its more about the pricing in the mtb market overall. Way overpriced.

Yes, in comparison it could be seen as good value, and to set up facilities to manufacture new products in house is costly, but once in place those costs fall.

I was riding DH mostly and i think it was Santa Cruz who suddenly introduced a new DH bike costing more than double most other brands, triple for some, but it was made out of this new wonder material they called "carbon". Caused a bit of contraversy but a proven sales tatic, if something costs a lot more than similar items then it is obviously better. From there everything took a big leap up in price.

Yes, its everywhere, not just in mtb...jeez, im sounding old :LOL:

One would assume that with all that extra cost, obviously the product will last a life time?, isnt that what development is about? improving a product! making it lighter stronger etc :)

legrandefromage":3m82nkc1 said:
But you dont want everything to 'last a lifetime' - its a bad business model

Bad business model like it is for Toyota you mean?

Biggest car company in the world [by volume of cars sold] and what's the percentage of their cars still on the road? 80% or something...? ;)

legrandefromage":178n8xzs said:

That's the problem with 'obsolete' steel frames. They just last far too long ;)

BoyBurning":n2ygmvf5 said:
legrandefromage":n2ygmvf5 said:

Biggest car company in the world [by volume of cars sold] and what's the percentage of their cars still on the road? 80% or something...? ;)

That is so wide of the mark and a cheap shot - every time someone talks about the cycle industry, up pops some johnny dafttrousers mentioning the car industry - which is so totally incomparable its laughable

Look how many recalls and safety issues that have affected the car industry, millions recalled over airbags, dodgy software and an industry that controls governments and taints the very air we breathe.

Re:

Lifetime guarantee on my Miyatas.

I think lifetime guarantee on my Koga-Miyatas too.

Yours,
johnny dafttrousers

BoyBurning":5779q4rc said:

FWIW that's only really applicable to brands like Land Rover (probably not anymore), Bentley, Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Tesla. Either iconic cars that are collected and stored, cars that are iconic and can be self serviced (Old defenders for instance) or brand new brands that haven't had time to fail or wear out in huge numbers.

Toyotas get scrapped all the time. 10s of thousands of them every year. Same as ford, opel, renault etc etc. Probably closer to 50%, same as all the other mass market manufacturers of white goods.

TBH, i can't see what everyone is getting so wound up about on FB, Hope misjudged the price they could sell it at, and have adjusted, to increase volume i'd guess, there may be a few tweaks to *slightly* reduce costs (but no where near £2000) and then promised to refund those who paid more.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that sale price has anything to do with costs, you just price at what the market can stand. Which seems to be what the angsty teenagers on FB seem to have misunderstood.

i think its very good of them to do the refund. Not many would do that.

Back