Hope hubs

m30edd

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of history and a timeline for Hope hubs, is there a link with this sort of information? Also dimensions would be good too.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cool:

I would be interested in this too. There's not much info on these on bikepro...

The hope website has a little information on some parts & components such as technical drawings etc. But it is very patchy.

I posted up what I had worked out somewhere, still finding more bits and bobs out, I couldn't give years unfortunately, only approx. years

Could always email HOPE and see if they'll tell you, then tell us :)

I hope other will correct these assumptions ;)
and staying MTB, not crossing in to the Road hubs like super lightweight etc.

Front hubs
But early 90's say 1993* they brought out the Hope hub, it was Ti tube with angle chunky aluminium flanges and grub screw affixed spacers.
I assume it's this hub
hop_spacer_194.jpg

Year calculated as it's mine, it was bought around then and the rim it's built up is Araya RM-395 Team, which is a 1993 only rim

In 1994 the lightweight and Suspension hubs where released.
Lightweight was the Hope hub but with smother flanges and the Suspension had a thicker hub body. Shortly after that probably still 1994 they released the FatSo, a very large body with a large 'new' axle construction compared to the traditional on piece axle

These stayed around a long time, with evolution of covers over the bearing to act as protection during bike cleaning time and to look a bit better ;)
Maybe some flange thinning going on.

They gained disc brake compatibility at some point in the mainstream, no idea when or what different type, it's never interest me.

Then the Mono and and XC came out in say the turn of the century, these are practically the same as the other hub, but the shell is now an all aluminium. Probably much stiffer, far less chance of flange fail and probably cheaper to make.
XC being the disc brake version of the Mono. Mono/XC came in Suspension and lightweight.
I don't know if there was a 'Sport' version of this.

etc became the Hope Pro II and later Hope Pro III (a none disc designed version)

There are also others but I don't know much abot them, again never been interested.

REAR
Similar timeline
A screw on rear hub came out probably 1993/4
Then HOPE started to use the Campag style freehub attachment and the Ti-Glide came out (was this originally with Alu shell or steel ?)
Later they gained the Titanium 6Al4V freehub body (first of it's kind is the claim), again with the newer bike cleaning shields on the spacers coming along.
Forward to late 90's and the flange's go from being flat to smoothed and wavy
Disc version released at some point... before the flanges where smoothed and waved though.

Then Mono and XC where release, practically the same just a new all Aluminium main body in again say turn of the century.
A Sport version was released, I think this was just a 'steel' freehub body ?

and in to recent modern times
Hope Pro II/III ...

again other DH specific came along Big-Un etc..

Can add pictures if needed.

FluffyChicken":yp4jfkf1 said:
They gained disc brake compatibility at some point in the mainstream, no idea when or what different type, it's never interest me.

Actually, they built the hub in order to use their disc brake, the brake was developed first, see above.

Oh, and I have a bike built in 1992, which I believe is full original spec which came with one of the hubs as above.

Rod_Saetan":3k8iz907 said:
FluffyChicken":3k8iz907 said:

Actually, they built the hub in order to use their disc brake, the brake was developed first, see above.

Ah by that I was meaning 'mainstream' disc brakes onto the Ti-Glide/Suspension hubs i.e. the splined interface to spider version.
Unless you mean they built the Ti tubed versions as splined/screw on first ?

I deliberately missed of their home-brew setups as while I know they where around I couldn't remember anything about them other than knowing that thread existed.

Rod w.r.t post just above this, very true. But that's how we learn :) and I found out most of this.

Does anyone know any actual dates. I know I could look at the suspension hub review in the Archive to detemine the FatSo coming out if I get time.
When did they switch to the wavy flange in the rear hub, I'm guessing around 1998 but no idea why I'm guessing that.

Back