Highway Code changes

I feel like this is already what everyone does in our area, but idiots on all forms of transport will still exist and this will make no difference to them unfortunately .

I posted my question 5 minutes after a regular lunchtime ride that I take at least twice a week. (About an hour, part urban, part country lanes). I was dressed in dayglo green with flashing front and rear lights. Having just been reading about the highway code changes, I decided to count the overtakes and side road pull outs. Of 40 plus overtakes, only 2 were 1.5m or more (one really close one felt like it was at over 60 MPH ). There was one dangerous side road pull out, when I was 20 feet from him and he came across me close enough for me to tell you his eye colour.
Would knowing the highway code have changed any of that?

having it written down is only useful after the fact when your busted body is already in the hospital or worse.

5 mile commute in to work and some other distance home 3 days a week (was 5 but you know). every day, EVERY DAY I have at least 3 near misses, how many of them do you think this will stop?

it is a good change, It will have an effect in the long term and hopefully is the forerunner to a better cultural safety, but it isn't making us safer.

having said that, neither is the muppet I ride behind 2-3 times a week who runs red lights without a regard (Tuesday I watched him run 3 sets and he must have run the 4th as he caught me up). That's more harmful to us than any bad blood over changes to the highway code.

The newspapers are already jumping on this doing in a negative way, reports about cyclists now taking up the roads after the revised highway codes, in one newspaper it showed cyclists hogging the roads with a mass of cars behind, newspaper got called out that the picture they used was over five years old, it can only get worse with the hatred aimed at cyclists.

As a driver of many miles, the flashing headlight is something I could do without.

Some of the rear lights are equally bad.

And the roadies could do with less all black in the rain/ dark/ fog

The media and social media hype is, well, plain hysteria. Shit stirring at its worst encouraging violence towards cycling and cyclist, amplifying every tiny misdemeanour into a major crime, and making vehicle users appear innocent of all charges. Its almost a sport in itself

There's a large generation of drivers to clear before there will be a noticeable difference on the roads.

Latest posts

Back