Highway Code changes

As a driver of many miles, the flashing headlight is something I could do without.

Some of the rear lights are equally bad.

And the roadies could do with less all black in the rain/ dark/ fog
The ultra bright flashing front lights are not needed, just one single permanently on is only required and not on their head.

I use a flashing rear red light during the day time only, been using such a light for well over ten years now,
I'd rather give every motorist the chance to see me well before they are on top of me.

Got to agree with you about certain cyclists wearing all black & riding on an all matt black bike,
using weedy micro lights, only dark colours I use is my leggings, jersey's are always very bright.

As a driver of many miles, the flashing headlight is something I could do without.

As a sometime driver, I can definitely sympathise with this, but then the other day despite having a very bright front light (on a country road without street lighting) a driver starting pulling out of a junction and missed be my a fraction. Now I have the bright front light and a smaller flashing one if there's any traffic about seeing as I'd rather potentially annoy drivers and not end up over a bonnet...

Also, I'm going to get a jersey made with a back which reads 'Actually roads are paid for with general taxation rather than specifically road tax, and in fact by your logic shouldn't I be paying less tax seeing as I only take up 25% of the road surface, though in fact I do pay road tax anyway because believe it or not I both ride bikes AND drive a car'. Admittedly it is a bit on the wordy side.

Last edited:
As a sometime driver, I can definitely sympathise with this, but then the other day despite having a very bright front light (on a country road without street lighting) a driver starting pulling out of a junction and missed be my a fraction. Now I have the bright front light and a smaller flashing one if there's any traffic about seeing as I'd rather potentially annoy drivers and not end up over a bonnet...

Also, I'm going to get a jersey made with a back which reads 'Actually roads are paid for with general taxation rather than specifically road tax, and in fact by your logic shouldn't I be paying less tax seeing as I only take up 25% of the road surface, though in fact I do pay road tax anyway because believe it or not I both ride bike AND drive a car'. Admittedly it is a bit on the wordy side.
😍

I'm going to get a jersey made with a back which reads 'Actually roads are paid for with general taxation rather than specifically road tax, and in fact by your logic shouldn't I be paying less tax seeing as I only take up 25% of the road surface, though in fact I do pay road tax anyway because believe it or not I both ride bikes AND drive a car'. Admittedly it is a bit on the wordy side.
lol

I had a blue jersey made about 10 years ago, used to wear it every time I went out on the bike.

Attachments

• DSC02110.JPG
    DSC02110.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 7
I've seen a few articles in the MSM on these changes. There was plenty of anti-cyclist hate both above and below the line.

As well as the usual below-the-line crap (cyclists run red lights, road tax, licence, insurance etc.), there was some on-topic whining about the new guidance. My favourite was the people whining about how they would be rear-ended if they stopped to let someone cross a junction. Presumably it hasn't occurred to them that if they slow down gradually before junctions, then they're far less likely to be rear-ended in any situation.

The other thing worth noting is that the changes could be described more as minor changes than major changes. I'm fairly sure that the old guidance said to give way to people crossing junctions, so the new guidance is a minor change, requiring motorists to give way to people waiting to cross.

I must admit, I do run a flashing light on my helmet at all times on my commute, both a white light facing forwards and a red light to the rear, in addition to the lights on my bike. This is because I was knocked off by a car pulling out at a t-junction as I passed it, a couple of years ago. I also now run a go-pro.
I only realised it’s not always good for others when a walker literally shielded his eyes as I passed him on a canal towpath last week.

I still think of the time when an idiot in a Nissan Leaf gave me grief just because he couldn't get by me instantly, then proceeded to give me grief about I don't pay road tax, he then decided to knock me down in his new car!!! I did a post about this some 5 maybe longer years ago.

Back