Hi all i have a Francesco Moser Super Prestige frame but the Columbus tube decal is missing, can anyone help id it i think ive possibly found a match

Attachments

• EEEFAF3E-617F-41A2-822B-BBF7351E2AD2.jpeg
    EEEFAF3E-617F-41A2-822B-BBF7351E2AD2.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
If it's a Super Prestige it would have better tubing than Aelle. Should be Columbus SL I think. Like this?
@Woody662011 I would think that hamster is correct. Check your seat post diameter; if 27.2mm it is "SL" (usually 57cm and smaller frames), if 27.0 it is "SP" (usually 58cm and larger frames). The headbadge may help date it; I believe the Moser "headshot" is pre-80s ('77-'79?); or at least very early '80s. Not sure when they started making that model. I have an '85 Moser "Aelle" frame ( "Moser" written vertically on the headbadge) and it clearly states that tube type on the decal. I need to check, but I think my seat post is 26.8mm for the "Aelle" model. If the decal has the single wing on the dove it is '78 or later, and early versions of this decal did not specify "SL/"SP", but it should still specify "Rinforzati" for butted tubing regardless. I think the "SL"/"SP" designation on the decal appeared circa 1980.

Last edited:
SL tubing is easy to check - remove the seatpost and you can see rifling down the inside of the seat tube.
Only for "SLX"/"SPX" tubing not "SL"/"SP". You can check the steerer tube for the 5 helical ridges to verify a Columbus steerer, but I don't know if that necessarily identifies the frame tubing type.

Cheer's Guys when I get chance I'll check the Size of the Seat post but I remeber the Guy I bought it off saying it was an odd size, the head set had Mosers face on it.

I am curious as to how you came to suspect that this is a "Super Prestige" frame. I really don't know the Moser models until the mid to later '80s. I just saw a frame set on another site which would appear to have had the Moser "head" headbadge, but the he does not know the year or model. He states that the seat post is 27.2mm and there are remnants of a Columbus decal on the seat tube. His definitely cannot be an "Aelle" tube set with that seat post size. The BB shell shows a single slot drain hole with FMoser on it; brake bridge also has FMoser on the mounting knuckle which is unlike your bridge. Campagnolo drop outs front and rear. FM pantograph on the fork crown, no Columbus "ridges" in the steerer tube. If yours has an Aelle decal with the single wing dove it would certainly be '78 or later; with the Moser "head" headbadge I think that it would be no later than 80/81. The "Pernod" decal was used on many frames and does not designate a year of manufacture or model type other than essentially being from no earlier than 1978; one would expect that decal to be on a 1979 frame at the earliest due to that award being given near the end of the competition cycle and 1978 frames having essentially already been made for the '78 model year. I have seen an original owner's bike which was claimed to be purchased in 1978; it has no "Pernod" decal, and has the Moser "head" headbadge on it as an original decal. There are many folks who think they have a 1978 frame based on the "Pernod" trophy decal, but most are much later than that year. Photo shows my "Aelle" frame from '84/'85 with the "Pernod" decal (sorry for poor quality!). The "super prestige" is part of the name of the award.
1978 pernod decal.jpg

Last edited:
I don't just came across a picture of a identical frame, the frame is fully chromed then a blue paint sprayed over the top but sadly for some reason the original decals were never sealed with a coat of lacquer so some were completely missing like the tubing decal others like the head tube I could see the remains of Francesco Mosers face and while lifting the frame some ended up stuck on my hand I would like to replace the decals to spruce it up but identifying the tubing is the tricky part but if the key is the seat tube size that is helpful.

Back