Hetchins traditional auction

Is a curly Hetchins the E-Type of British cycles - always desirable, almost no matter what the condition? Not that this one looks that bad at all, mind you. I'm going to plump for Ā£400.

Having watched far more 'Bangers and Cash' than I would like to admit, in the classic car world it's certainly a fact that some (most even?) auction houses will leave a 'barn find' type car in the exact condition it was found because that's how potential bidders want them - it proves it really was a 'barn find'. I'm sure in this case this bike is part of a house clearance like @Gtpulse says - though the same logic may still apply, I suppose.

Is a curly Hetchins the E-Type of British cycles - always desirable, almost no matter what the condition? Not that this one looks that bad at all, mind you. I'm going to plump for Ā£400.

Having watched far more 'Bangers and Cash' than I would like to admit, in the classic car world it's certainly a fact that some (most even?) auction houses will leave a 'barn find' type car in the exact condition it was found because that's how potential bidders want them - it proves it really was a 'barn find'. I'm sure in this case this bike is part of a house clearance like @Gtpulse says - though the same logic may still apply, I suppose.
Iā€™d say they are certainly more recognisable to a wider crowd a bit like the E-Type. It works both ways, I went to look at one years ago at an auction, someone clearly knew it was interesting as while it was still dusty and covered in cobwebs, it was on a stand with the ā€œinsideā€ lots so I knew probably too much interest. No one paid much attention to the equally dirty (but mint underneath) Overburys that was under some drain rods and an old B&D Workmate out in the ā€œoutsideā€ stuff. I was the only bidder on that oneā€¦ā€¦

Looks like it didn't sell at the auction.
Given there was no estimate, that implies there's no reserve, so perhaps it was sold prior or withdrawn, although the auctioneer usually states this.

Slightly hard to believe it didn't get any bids, so perhaps it had a reserve put on later - which it didn't make.

They might have got a nod from the website about the number of clicks.

Last edited:
Looks like it didn't sell at the auction.
Given there was no estimate, that implies there's no reserve, so perhaps it was sold prior or withdrawn, although the auctioneer usually states this.

Slightly hard to believe it didn't get any bids, so perhaps it had a reserve put on later - which it didn't make.

They might have got a nod from the website about the number of clicks.
It didn't sell because the reserve was set at Ā£500.

Latest posts

Back