Help with XT wheelset on lava dome. Should I re-dish or not?

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi there...

Currently building a 91 Lava Dome

Build thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=405238

I was over the moon when I recently acquired a mint set of period XT hubs on Mavic rims. I’m doin full XT groupset bar Deore LX shifters and this was the last part I was after.

Sadly when I cane to fit them the rear axle is 140mm not 145mm like the original wheels. I’m gutted!

Should and could I use the axle off standard wheels with the additional spacer and sort it this way with a simple re dish of the wheel required or Is thus a bad idea and should I sell them to someone who needs this size and look for another set?

Issue I have is that these wheels are mint. I’ve just replaced the bearings and the internals and cones are outstanding so might be hard to find another set in this fettle...

If you read this and can assist with advice or even offer a wheel set swap then please let me know...
Thanks

Re:

I'm no expert, but sounds like you have 130mm spaced rear hubs rather than 135mm? Could be wrong but guessing here,assuming the axle length for a 130mm spaced hub is 140, and 135 at 145.

You should be able to get a longer axle and spacers (2.5mm each side so you don't need to redish the wheel, or 5cm on one side and redish, whatever is the correct method), and you should be good to go.

I'm sure more knowledgable folk on here will be along to confirm, and perhaps even offer up the bits you need. Failing that, post a wanted ad, I'm sure you'll get what you need.

Re:

Thank you....

Think you are right too. My measurements were of the actual axle itself and it does look like the standard rear wheel has a 10mm spacer on the non drive side. The axle will be wider than the ‘hub spacing’ as it extends into the dropouts so think you’re bang on.

I’ll check my spares box for a longer axle and spacers.

I don’t wanna butcher the standard rear wheel as that set is very much useable too.

Thinking about this I may have to redish with a larger spacer on the non drive side as otherwise the chain line will be compromised if I try 5mm either side????

Any other thoughts and advice or offering up of required parts appreciated.

Re:

So after remeasuring and checking I’ve confirmed that the Lava Dome takes a 100mm front spaced wheel and a 135mm rear. The XT period upgraded wheel set is identical at the front but is 130mm at rear so is 5mm too narrow for frame...

What’s people’s thoughts on fitting an additional 5mm spacer to non drive side and redishing the wheel 5mm to the left?

Or should I leave well alone and sell this set or swap to someone who actually needs this sizing and wait out for another set?
Not sure how a redish of the wheel would affect the strength of these wheels unless I also fitted new spokes?

Thoughts please. These XT wheels area in outstanding shape.

I’m leaning towards selling and holding out?

Cheers

Re:

Personally I'd add the spacer (assuming the axle is the right length btw) and redish.

If the wheel is true, all your need to do is loosen one sides worth of spokes half a turn (guessing, you could go 1/4 turn at a time) and tighten the opposite spokes by the same amount.

Re:

Thanks ishaw...

I’ve just found a site where someone had same issue and it’s a simple axle swap (I’ll check if I have a 140mm rear axle of a broken wheel) then extra 5mm spacer on non drive side and should only need redishing 2.5mm to left it says unlike the 5mm I thought .? Must me angles or something? 2.5mm seems nowt to adjust.

I will stick a 5mm spacer on current axle which although will be too narrow to tighten securely will allow me to visually see how far out it’s gonna be.

I’ll try and check later and update on here. Thanks pal...

Hi Prezza.

What version of XT are the hubs? Had a quick flick through your build thread but couldn't see it, and I'm supposed to be working :LOL:

Defo put the hub right I reckon. I can help you figure out what spacers are needed and where to put them.

Cheers,

Neil.

It's easily done, a stack of M10 washers from B&Q will do it for a spacer, although nicer solutions exist.

Build it all up, then you will need to slacken the drive side spokes and tighten the drive side - start with one turn and then work from there. You can do it with the wheel in the bike.

Back