Help with Kona Hahanna headset

slwslow

Retro Newbie
Hi there, I was hoping to get some help with finding a replacement headset for my vtg Kona Hahanna.

I have a Kona Hahanna 16" 1994 which takes a 1" threaded headset. Unfortunately the current headset is broken and needs replacing, my local bike shop are having difficultly locating a suitable headset. The existing headset was no brand/unidentifiable...

I purchased a new M Part Elite threaded 24tpi headset 1 inch which has a 27mm crown race (most other 1" threaded are 26.4mm crown race), but apparently the stack height of the M Part Elite headset is too high so it does not work. I am really struggling to know where to look for a replacement?

The bike shop have provided me with the following measurements for my bike:
Headtube length: 90mm
Headtube internal diameter: 30mm
Steerer tube length: 123mm
Length of threaded section of steerer: 30mm (at 24 TPI)
Crown race seat diameter: 27mm

Does anyone have any advice on where I can purchase a replacement headset for my Kona? I am in the UK.

I would really appreciate your help in getting my Kona back on the road! It has served me well for the past few years but this is boggling my mind a little bit.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 37

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
it is very likely that you can re-use the crown race from your original headset

*and if your bike shop had been any good, it would have a little box full of crown races ready!

Thinking about it, nobody has actually asked what was wrong with the original headset?

Unless the surfaces are really pitted, a new set of bearings and some new grease usually cures all

The Tange is actually a bit better and is more likely to fit straight on being from Japan

so it could just need new bearings and grease

I wouldn’t assume the headset could be saved, nor that you can mix and match the crown race and cups from different headsets if you are paying someone else to do the work. It’ll end up costing more, or not working as well. Unfortunately sometimes you just need to start again!

Given that the bike shop couldnt even do a simple search, I would guess that they couldnt be bothered

Given the evidence in this thread for instance

Back