Help with Kona Hahanna headset

The bike shop just called me to say that none of those headsets would fit... it needs a lower stack height (30mm or less) than the headsets sent and also crown race needs to be 27mm.

Does such a headset exist?

I think you're going to struggle - where are the missing 3mm though? The headset in the picture looks like a fairly average stack one, it even has a spacer in.

I think you're going to struggle - where are the missing 3mm though? The headset in the picture looks like a fairly average stack one, it even has a spacer in.
I am told that the steerer is shorter than average, so I guess that is where the mm's are missing.

Is it an impact 1 inch headset? If so I’ve got one that I’ve just taken off a 1996 bike. Original bearings are tired - but are replaceable, and depending on what is wrong with your it might swap in or provide a replacement part.

Is it an impact 1 inch headset? If so I’ve got one that I’ve just taken off a 1996 bike. Original bearings are tired - but are replaceable, and depending on what is wrong with your it might swap in or provide a replacement part.
Hi there, I have no idea but likely! do you know what the stack height is of your headset?
Thanks for checking!

Strange that it has a JIS headset, I thought Kona phased out this in 1990? Anyway, *takes Kona anorak off* I expect only the bottom assembly is shot, the top ones are normally ok unless they’ve been sat outside for a while. If this is the case, can you just use the bottom part off another headset like Markoc says?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem putting the switchblades back on my marin after errrrr, 25+ years, for some reason i had cut the thread down for a very low stack.....cant rember what i was using bitd....but short obviously.

The lowest i could find was a Tange Passage, which is 30.2mm, not sure if available in jis ?

Impact Headset looks to be about 30mm from the top of the headtube (where the middle of the cup sits) to the top of the headset itself (threaded lockring).

Looking at your bike there's a good chance it came with one originally, as I think they started using Impact headsets around 1990/1991 (but could be very wrong).

The hive mind of RB might be able to throw up the original spec - and there are a lot of catalogue scans on here.

I have an Impact that would do a job for you, would need a good dollop of fresh grease - and ultimately some new bearings, but it works. It doesn't have a crown race (well it does, but I can't extract it from the fork it is firmly attached to) but I'd be willing to bet that the one that is on there already would work. I'm not looking for much for it either.

Back