Help with history check on some possible ex team bikes.

#GIANT BIKE TART

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I have spoken to members of other groups about the possible history of a couple of 90's Giants I own that seem to have race history, either for uk or possibly international level racing by team members. The bikes in question are a blue 'CADEX' logo'd carbon monocoque framed hardtail, which is a early mcm team version but with the hologram head badge from around 94 instead of the later chrome giant circle emblem. I saw the international Giant riders at Newnham in 94 on these style frames so I know they were testing the design out pre production but using the current Cadex branding to promote the then current bonded carbon and aluminium frames which is what I was racing at the time. Anyway, the bike I have is a 19" frame with Girvin Vector forks, Magura raceline brakes, hope ti hubs and BB, Cooks cranks, Pace rc130 bars, Ringle' Moby Seatpost, Flite saddle, m739 front and rear mechs, Fir ceramic rims, Ritchey wcs tyres. The spec seems quite unique and is very much of the period, the magura brakes have had all the bolts replaced with gold ti bolts and don't have the later brace plates to stiffen them. The frame looks to have a fair thickness of paint on it and the matching fluorescent logos to match the magura yellow screams team re-paint. I will get some pictures up as soon as I can but I'm currently sat in hospital recovering from an operation to fix an infected intestine and don't have any images on my tablet of the bike.

Re:

The second bike in question at this point is a 16" Giant ATX 990 Tomac edition from 97 I believe. It is fitted with Rock Shox Judy DHO forks, Magura race line 2 finger (evo?) brakes, a DMR chain device for single ring setup and a GT Hadley 20mm front hub with mavic 121 rim from the period. I've changed most of the other parts to get the bike in a useable condition so those parts are not original to the build but were used to recreate what I would like to see for the period and some favourite parts. I have sram srt 600 8 speed right hand shifter, Azonic cnc dh stem, Tioga dl2001 riser dh bars, xtr 900 rear mech, Hope ti glide rear hub on another mavic 121 rim, generic silver seatpost and a flite saddle. Talking to Richard Warner (Robs brother) on another forum, he said the spec sounds very similar to the team issue bikes from his brothers rides and that the Tomac edition frames were predominately given to team members with the SHO forks and Magura brakes, but not much else specific to go on. Presumably shimano transmission but it would be great to find specs or pictures of exactly what was used and by who on the team and maybe even use the frame number or spec and size to pin the bike down to a rider. If anyone has any info or contacts who may be able to help me build up a better history and research parts specs or any information it would be truly appreciated. I used to have stacks of mtb magazine's from this period which would have been useful to find images and info from from they were lost in a house fire 15 years ago. :facepalm:

Re:

Thanks Tim, yes it is that style frame which I'm familiar with as I also have 2 other mcm framed hard tails but one is a 97 and the other a 02. The problem with the bike in question is that it is not in standard factory paint but looks to have been repainted well and has such a peculiar spec that from the previous owner has been on the bike since before he owned it from just after it was raced and sold on. He told me that the bike had apparently been a team bike but I'm trying to establish if it had been built for a giant team rider or maybe someone like me who raced for a shop at a more local level. Because of the level of kit that is fitted, it seems too good for a Joe public racer unless they had really deep pockets but I would expect a team rider to be using the very best so can't fathom why there's no xtr?? Hence I thought I'd pick everyone's brains to see if we can get to some sort of answer....... :)

Back