Help me build world lightest MTB

I update post on 1st page with Merida rigid fork carbon for v brakes. at 650 gr vs 530 - 650 (tossek and pace )
Will it worth the difference provided the v brakes are lighte than disc system (I think , right) ?

Surely weight weenies is the place which will hold all the information you seek.

It won’t simply be a case of throwing lots of money at it. Custom made / modified parts will need to be used so you either need people capable of such or be handy at things yourself.

Surely weight weenies is the place which will hold all the information you seek.

It won’t simply be a case of throwing lots of money at it. Custom made / modified parts will need to be used so you either need people capable of such or be handy at things yourself.
Not at all, the frames is totally deprecated, showing the lightest the scale 2005 at 970 gr.But will be good to look for forks

I pretty sure my old Cannondale Flash Carbon team hi mod frame was 880g. Whole bike was 6.8kg as it came without any special parts.

As an add on to the concept of extremely light bicycle builds, I think that to claim the record, the bike should be required to complete one lap on an agreed upon course without anything breaking. All potential record holders would ride the same course. Or do most people think that being rideable isn't a factor for this particular record?
Unless you are looking to ride a crazy World Cup DH track any competent rider should be able to tip toe their way through a trail without breaking anything. Having to do it within a set time would add more of a realistic challenge.

Or do most people think that being rideable isn't a factor for this particular record?
Depends. I do.
Most hardcore weight weenies have a "show spec" version of the bike (all but unrideable) and a "race version" which usually adds a kilo in wheels, tyres and pedals.
Notable exceptions to this are Dangerholm, who has some serious issues. Serious issues that i wish i had, total and utter focus on detail and a shit load of spare time/cycling related job, so you end up with 20lb freeride bikes and full on DH bikes at under 30lbs.

The other notable exception is SebK who is so fast on his lightweight XC bike that no one has ever seen him ride it.

OP, you're unlikely to find many light, carbon XC frames with canti bosses.
A move to discs will get you something like a scale, which at it's lightest was under 900 grams. (i built one on a ~£2k budget with discs, front suspension and 2x9 that was about 18lbs with some fast rolling tyres on it. Could easily have shed another 3lbs with another 1500 quid!.)

Any bike should be able to do at least 1000 miles off road without significant issues to be classed as a mtb bike. You could 3D print most of it if it’s not going to be used and it’ll be stupid light.

Always amuses me when you meet someone who tells you how lightweight their bike is whilst out. Admittedly it’s usually road bikes but I’ve had on mtb too. They never seem to be the lightweight model themselves though.

1000miles?
If it's a race bike it'll probably have been through a fork and shock service (or three), couple of sets of pads, two or three sets of tyres, probably more. Plus a few cassettes and chains (depending on where it's been raced....)

And at least a couple of complete recablings...

All those items are service related. Not breakages.

1000 miles is two months riding if your ride a few days a week and i definitely don’t replace or service parts that quick.

edited to add- I can’t imagine it would have shocks or suspension anyway.

Latest posts

Back